Wired vs. wireless, Homeworks vs. Radio RA2

I am doing a gut reno on an urban townhouse and am pondering lighting solutions.  Hardwired is feasible since the walls are coming off and I understand the reflexive responses: "hardwired is more reliable" and "wireless is for retrofit."  Still, I have seen no reports here about flakiness with Radio RA2.  The wireless solution is cheaper by 30%.  More importantly, though, is that Radio RA2 has some level of DIY flexiblility and some support from 3rd party systems.  A search for "Homeworks" here brings up no results, for example.  A pro will be installing this but I want some post-install hackability and user serviceability.

In my last home I did a Leviton Z-wave, Aprilaire, Homeseer and Elk combo.  I am not thrilled with the lighting situation.  In particular, every. single, switch. needs to be rebooted after a power failure because they lose their dimming setting or awareness of the satellite switch. 

Thanks for any ideas!

It would be nearly impossible to DIY a new HomeWorks QS install, but you could hack together an older HW4 or HW8 system.   Someone here on CT did that, actually before QS was available.

You'll need to find a local RA2 installer willing to let you take over when he's done.  Depending on the number of dimmers, switches, keypads, and repeaters, you may hit the 100 node mark - the theoretical cutoff of DIY RadioRa 2.

I've heard that at least 1 distributor can get you up to 200 nodes, if you buy from him, giving you a higher level of programming software access (not sure how that works).

Finding that flexible installer who will give you access after I think will be your biggest hurdle.  If you want to consider full DIY of RA2, then sign up for online training, and hire a local lighting designer (familiar with RA2) to help design the system, paid hourly.  You'll be at that 100 node limit, with DIY, unless you track down that distributor.  Finding an electrician experienced with RA2 would also be very helpful, to install the switches/dimmers/keypads (if you don't want to 'fully' DIY.

Good luck!

Hardwired lighting will be more reliable and also can be less expensive in a large install. If you want more than 50 loads automated, Centralite Elegance can be comparable to the price of RA2, and it is DIY friendly both after and during the install, as you can run the LV cat5 wires to the keypads yourself. Documentation and software are available at centralite's website. You do need to find a competent electrician to install the HV components, but most commercial oriented electricians should have the know-how.

I have RadioRa2 but I don't yet have a large installation.  So far it has been ROCK SOLID, no issues what so ever.  Of course, if you need more than 100 devices, you would need to spend a day or two at Lutron taking the higher level training.  If I grow my system that large, which I might with switches, motion detectors, and thermostats; I'll find a way to attend that training and open up the maximum of 200 RadioRa2 devices.

I've got a RA2 setup with more than 100 devices.  It's very reliable, as reliable as my old RA1 setup was.  Yes, with more than 100 devices you need a second main repeater.  The repeaters combine to make a network that supports up to 200 devices.  They're programmed using the same software, it's just a matter of a software license key that handles supporting the 2nd main repeater (and thus +100 devices).  Note, there some physical devices like keypads and repeaters consume more than one of the 100/200 device counts.  So if you're close to 100 or 200 in physical devices then you really need to check.  

There are some additional scene features in what they call this 'Inclusive' level of the software.  One that sure seem like they ought to be in the 1st tier, but that's a whole other discussion.  I'm very pleased with the configuration options thus far.

If you want conditional programming (if/then/else) then you either have to use Homeworks QS or a 3rd party controller (either embedded or PC-based).  Conditionals are nice in that you can have things being triggers based on a variety of factors.  I plan on using 'something' to handle this.  I'm debating Elk vs HAI and haven't yet decided.  I'll have to play with each of their programming tools to narrow down which better suits my interests.  Again, that's another discussion...

I think the only thing I would like to have in RA2 would be the ability to have the dimmers change their default level based on time of day (or ambient lighting).  But I think that will stop being an issue once we get to the point where we find a 'sweet spot' on the dimmer levels.  Haven't gotten there yet as we're still unpacking and haven't even BEGUN to start decorating.  

Window treatments, furniture and other decor elements all come into play where lighting is concerned.  

My advice is treat the wiring like it wasn't going to be automated at all.  That way you can fall back to that come resale time, or when technologies change.  That and think carefully about just how irritating an automation system can be when people have expectations of 'normal' light switches.  I'm finding it's best to have the room's 'main lighting' on a regular paddle-style switch and not on a keypad.  This way anyone coming into the room isn't faced with having to make decisions about buttons one the keypad when all they need is LIGHT.

That and placement of keypads is helped by there being a hybrid unit, one that has buttons AND a dimmer built-in.  This way that single-gang switch position still serves it's duty for a 'switch' but then also has buttons for other functions.  This becomes important when you've got large rooms that serve multiple purposes.  We've a combined ktichen/family room/breakfast table arrangement that needs keypads at each to handle overlapping lighting control.  As in, being able to bring up one area while dimming another, or turning 'everything' off.  The hybrid makes it easy to swap one in later, in place of a regular dimmer, when you discover you really did need more keypad control...  But, again, make sure the 'main lighting' still has a paddle switch.

I found it invaluable to have a lighting consultant come out from a local lighting place.  We went through during the rough framing stage and rearranged/added/subtracted a few things based on the consultant's insights into lighting.  I'd strongly encourage anyone doing a 'gut job' to considering doing the same.

In my last home I did a Leviton Z-wave, Aprilaire, Homeseer and Elk combo.  I am not thrilled with the lighting situation.  In particular, every. single, switch. needs to be rebooted after a power failure because they lose their dimming setting or awareness of the satellite switch.
Can you please explain more about rebooting switches if tied to Leviton Vizia+? Scenes are programmed into individual switches on-board flash. A power failure should not impact any part of a Z-Wave network. The only time a power failure might cause a problem is if M1XSLZW reboots. Occasionally while M1XSLZW is scanning network during startup, a device will be missed.

Back