Wiring help - Macurco GD-2B into Elk M1

kayakerinme

Well, I think I've tried just about everything except asking for help so here I am...

I have a Macurco GD-2B combustible gas sensor that I'd like to tie into the Elk. I can't seem to have any success at getting not to beep at me when I power up the Elk.

The instructions are here: http://www.aerionics.info/files/GD-2B_Manual_04-06-2015.pdf
The wiring diagram is on page 9.

I only have one sensor to go to the Elk M1, where I'm attempting to use Zone 9.

The wiring harness is:
Alm A - Blue
Alm B - Yellow
Trb A - Gray
Trb B - Green
Pwr A - Black
Pwr B - Red

I took off the jumper described in step 6. on page 8 of the Installation section to change it from NO to NC.

So...
Pwr B :: +VAUX
Pwr A :: NEG

I would assume from the diagram:
Blue :: Z9
Blue :: EOL :: Gray
Yellow and Green :: NEG

Such that: the gray wire has a wire nut with the EOLR, the blue wire has a wire nut with the Z9 wire and the EOLR, and yellow and green are straight into NEG.

It doesn't seem to like this arrangement and starts alternating green/amber and beeping as described on page 12 Trouble Indicator.

Where have I gone amiss?

I'm not sure why you changed the jumper to make the alarm relay NC rather than NO.

But if you want to do it that way, you need to change the way the EOLR is wired so that it is in series with the alarm relay contact. The way you described your wiring, I think you have it so that the alarm relay is shorting out the EOLR.

It's not clear from the instructions whether changing the alarm relay jumper also changes the operation of the trouble relay. I get the impression that it doesn't.  If it still operates as a NC relay, you would need to wire it in series with the alarm relay.

That said, I can understand why the alarm panel wouldn't be happy.  It would be seeing a shorted EOLR on a zone that you probably have defined as having an EOLR.

I'm not sure if the GD-2B can tell if things are wired wrong and that is why it is indicating trouble on the LEDs.  I would think it knows nothing about the external wiring to the relays.  It might be that there is something wrong with the GD-2B as well.

RAL said:
I'm not sure why you changed the jumper to make the alarm relay NC rather than NO.
[KME] I thought the Elk wanted a Normally Closed signal. I have tried it both ways to no avail.

But if you want to do it that way, you need to change the way the EOLR is wired so that it is in series with the alarm relay contact. The way you described your wiring, I think you have it so that the alarm relay is shorting out the EOLR.
[KME] I don't have enough understanding to know how to wire it in a series when there's only one device. The Cosmo 2-wire smokes are wired in a series with the EOLR at the end. What is the sequence here?

It's not clear from the instructions whether changing the alarm relay jumper also changes the operation of the trouble relay. I get the impression that it doesn't.  If it still operates as a NC relay, you would need to wire it in series with the alarm relay.
[KME] Does the Trouble relay need its own zone?

That said, I can understand why the alarm panel wouldn't be happy.  It would be seeing a shorted EOLR on a zone that you probably have defined as having an EOLR.
[KME] The Elk doesn't blink an eye (or make a beep). It's just the sensor that doesn't seem happy.

I'm not sure if the GD-2B can tell if things are wired wrong and that is why it is indicating trouble on the LEDs.  I would think it knows nothing about the external wiring to the relays.  It might be that there is something wrong with the GD-2B as well.

Replies inline above...

What I've already done aside, is there a reference somewhere or a description that can tell me what the correct wiring ought to be (even just a generic diagram for a zone like this)? If I only have the one sensor, does it need an EOLR?

Thanks, Barry

kayakerinme said:
Replies inline above...

What I've already done aside, is there a reference somewhere or a description that can tell me what the correct wiring ought to be (even just a generic diagram for a zone like this)? If I only have the one sensor, does it need an EOLR?

Thanks, Barry

The M1 will allow you to configure a zone for use with normally open or normally closed devices.  When you configure a zone with EOLRs, it can be either normally open or normally closed, assuming you wire the EOLR properly for the given contact type.  That's why you see 3 choices in RP2:

- Normally open (implies no EOLR)
- Normally closed (implies no EOLR)
- EOLR (implies a NO contact with a EOLR in parallel, or a NC contact with EOLR in series)

Usually, most door and window contacts are normally closed, but they don't have to be.  You can get either type. Smoke detectors are usually normally open.

Are you configuring zone 9 on the Elk as a zone with an EOLR?  Or did you configure it as normally closed? What zone type did you choose? Gas?

The easiest way to wire things would be the way the GD-2B manual shows - on a zone configured for EOLR.  That will allow you to wire it to single zone and get proper alarm and trouble indications.

If you wire it that way, and the GD-2B indicates it has trouble  with its LEDs, then I think there is a problem with the GD-2B itself.

Off the top of my head, I believe the GAS ZT is  a NO circuit, trouble on open/alarm on short.

I would wire as the document says, trouble relay in series with the alarm contact, wired NO EOLR across the end device.

You wouldn't change the type to anything but EOLR in RP.

Maybe more information about the LED or what the detector is doing?

Back