Work around the go to stay when no exit

johnnynine

I currently have the elk set up to arm stay mode when a user asks it to arm away mode but no doors are opened. I like this, however if I remotely set it to away mode via an online interface (cqc) when no one is how (for instance if i forgot to set the alarm when i left), it is also switching to stay mode. Is there a rule or something I can set up to get around this? The user code for the online access has limited access and is different than my normal code.

Thanks
Johnny

I currently have the elk set up to arm stay mode when a user asks it to arm away mode but no doors are opened. I like this, however if I remotely set it to away mode via an online interface (cqc) when no one is how (for instance if i forgot to set the alarm when i left), it is also switching to stay mode. Is there a rule or something I can set up to get around this? The user code for the online access has limited access and is different than my normal code.

Thanks
Johnny

Make an unused zone a normaly closed entry/ext zone. Then put a relay in series with it. Program the elk through rules to open and close the relay after you arm away.

johny, I want to make sure I understand this correctly. When you want the system to arm away, you are forced to make sure a door is open? Just curious as to why? That seems like an extra step for the user to make sure that when they want to arm the system when they leave that they have to make sure a door is open or the system arms to stay mode, mean motion sensors are turned off. Am I understanding this right? thanks!

Why don't you just disable the arm stay feature when no one exits? That way if you arm it to away it arms away no matter what, if you arm it to stay it arms stay.

The OP is using the feature of the Elk which changes the arm mode from AWAY to STAY if no zones are opened and closed during the countdown period. No, the armer does not have make sure a door is left open. If you are arming the system in away mode, it is an obvious fact that at least one door/zone will close once you ext. This is a nice feature of the elk, because if no zones close, then you must still be in the building. But, if you dial in, and find that you forgot to arm the Elk, and have this feature enabled, then the Elk will see the arming, the countdown, and no doors close, therefore the system will arm in STAY mode. If he puts a relay in as Digger suggests, then this feature will never work for him, and he may as well disable the feature. It seems that the Elk should be able to recognize that it is beiang armed remotely, over hte phone, and be able to react accordingly.

Skip

The OP is using the feature of the Elk which changes the arm mode from AWAY to STAY if no zones are opened and closed during the countdown period. No, the armer does not have make sure a door is left open. If you are arming the system in away mode, it is an obvious fact that at least one door/zone will close once you ext. This is a nice feature of the elk, because if no zones close, then you must still be in the building. But, if you dial in, and find that you forgot to arm the Elk, and have this feature enabled, then the Elk will see the arming, the countdown, and no doors close, therefore the system will arm in STAY mode. If he puts a relay in as Digger suggests, then this feature will never work for him, and he may as well disable the feature. It seems that the Elk should be able to recognize that it is beiang armed remotely, over hte phone, and be able to react accordingly.

Skip

I was in a hurry this morning but if you tweak my idea it can work. If I have time tonight I will try it and make the necessary tweak.

Skip
Thanks for the more clear description. That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. ;)

Why dont you just arm it as stay if you are staying, and away if you are leaving??
Why would you want to arm as away (which will arm motions) if you are going to stay home?
Maybe I'm missing something.

Why dont you just arm it as stay if you are staying, and away if you are leaving??
Why would you want to arm as away (which will arm motions) if you are going to stay home?
I would not want to arm the house to away if I am not leaving.

The point is I would like to arm the alarm to away remotely when no one is in the house. For instance if I leave the house and forgot to set the alarm. I can currently send the elk a command remotely using CQC to set the alarm to away, however since no one is home and the exterior doors do not open and close during the countdown, the elk switches itself to arm stay... I want it to not switch to arm stay and stick on away since I set it remotely.

I would not want to arm the house to away if I am not leaving.

The point is I would like to arm the alarm to away remotely when no one is in the house. For instance if I leave the house and forgot to set the alarm. I can currently send the elk a command remotely using CQC to set the alarm to away, however since no one is home and the exterior doors do not open and close during the countdown, the elk switches itself to arm stay... I want it to not switch to arm stay and stick on away since I set it remotely.

Can you write a task associated with a Function key? Then if you trigger the function key it will arm away and open/close the virtual door. It would still work correctly if you are home and hit the arm away key.

rfd, as I understand your post you are saying dont have an arm stay at all. if thats not what your saying, i dont understand what your saying, LOL. I cant figure it out.

Let me try again. The "auto arm stay" is a feature that you can enable if you want. It is disabled by default, so many of you may not be aware of it. If you enable this feature and arm your system to away mode, it will arm to away mode IF AND ONLY IF an entry zone is detected as closing during the delay period. Otherwise, it will arm to STAY mode. The thought process being that if no zones have closed, then no one has left, and the person who armed the system must still be inside. It can be convenient to enable this feature. I don't personally use it, but it is easy to see why some people would like it. Again, I think the only solution would be to have the elk know if it is being armed via keypad or via phone. Another work around would be to hook up an input zone to a relay that could be activated via an automation task over the phone, thereby making the elk think a zone had opened and closed but that would be a kludge.

Skip

rfd, as I understand your post you are saying dont have an arm stay at all. if thats not what your saying, i dont understand what your saying, LOL. I cant figure it out.

I'm saying don't have the auto arm stay mode enabled. If you arm the system to away mode it arms to away, period. If you arm it to stay mode it arms to stay.

Back