You might live in upstate New York ...

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I normally don't post these kind of things, but I received this in an e-mail this morning. I know am not the only one from this area, so here goes ;)

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Upstate New York.

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights a year because Saranac Lake is the coldest spot in the nation, and Syracuse gets more snow than any other major city in the US , you might live in Upstate NY.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through May, you might live in Upstate New Yor k .

If you get 131 inches of snow in a week and you comment that 'winter's finally here,' you might live near Oswego in Upstate New York.

If you instinctively walk like=2 0a penguin for six months out of the year, you might live, bundled up, in Upstate New York.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Upstate NY.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Upstate New York.

If you have worn shorts and a parka on the same day, you might live in Upstate New York.

If you have had a lengthy phone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Upstate New York.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE UPSTATE NEW YORKER WHEN:

"Vacation" means going south past Syracuse for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend/wife knows how to use them.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snow suit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

You can identify a southern or eastern accent.

Down South to you means Corning .

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed.

You go out for a fish fry every Friday.

Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 10 degrees "a little chilly." And 55 is shorts weather.

You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your Upstate New York friends and to those who used to live here and left (chickens).

Oh yea, I live near Oswego, and winter is almost here!

I live near Oswego

I see your temperature was around zero F this morning.

My folks live down in Chenango County. I tried to get them to move out of there when my father retired, but there is something about the place that seems to keep people there.

Yep, it was somewhat chilly this morning, I actually had to wear a jacket. Not sure what it is about the snow, but I had the opportunity to move away from it once, and ended up moving closer :/

Yep, it was somewhat chilly this morning, I actually had to wear a jacket. Not sure what it is about the snow, but I had the opportunity to move away from it once, and ended up moving closer :/

You were going to wear a jacket just for zero degrees? What are you going to do when it gets cold?

Oh yea, I live near Oswego, and winter is almost here!

Funny!

I used to live in Binghampton when my wife was working for GE Aerospace (it's now a BAE plant) so I have a little insight. I prefer Colorado where the snow actually melts between storms. ;)

As a Montrealer, I can claim "Vacation means heading south to Lake Placid for the weekend". ;)

Love the list; many of them ring true for me. I particularly like the "potholes filled with snow". Yes, my wife knows how to use jumper cables (not recently, but hmm, I think it may be time to replace that 8 year-old battery).

For the longest time, Montrealers have joked about having two seasons, winter and construction. Variability in temperatures is another one we share with our New York/Vermont neighbours. -20C this morning (-4 F) and they predict 10 C (50 F ) and rain for Wednesday.

BTW, this will be the first winter that snow tires, on all four wheels, are mandatory for all vehicles registered in Quebec. The tire companies have had a very good season ...

ah, texas.... 50 F is our predicted low for today. a nice balmy 70 F for the high... the perfect december day

Ah yes, I remember upstate NY winters well. Although nowadays, it's called "Downstate" (poughkeepsie).

Thanks for reminding me why I left. Of course, after 12 years in CA, I have to wear a jacket when it gets below 50 degrees. That's a fact that my sister who's still in NY thinks is hilarious...

I remember those days St Johnsbury, Vermont where you had plug in your car or truck a good part of the season so it would start in the morning - wood burning stoves and splitting wood before the first snows start to fly and hopefully you split enough to make it through the winter - a cord or two was usually sufficent. Left that place many moons ago with the temperature of -22 degrees the day I left - arrived down in FL 2 days later - 65 degrees - the 1st winter was great couldn't understand why people were wearing coats and complaining about the cold - the next winter I understood - I think the heat causes your blood to thin - worked back up in New England a number of years later from November thru February (15 months) on my way out of Dodge - I got several phones asking to come back - the answer was I don't work above the Mason-Dixon Line anymore - 16 hours back in Florida

BTW, this will be the first winter that snow tires, on all four wheels, are mandatory for all vehicles registered in Quebec. The tire companies have had a very good season ...

Given the way some of you guys drive up there, 123, I'm sure this is a good thing! hehehe :p

I've been up to visit my brother in a Montreal suburb a few times this fall and probably willbe some time again soon. He's working some projects for Alcoa up that way.

Back