Z-Wave, ADT Pulse, and Mac.. Help me get started!

velo8

I recently moved and installed ADT Pulse (Select) and would like to know the best way to integrate home automation when ADT Pulse is already up and running. If possible, I'd like to use Macs only, but a slave PC is always an option. I have read that Vera 2 is nice. I have read that "Indigo" is good with macs... I know little about these systems otherwise.

Ideally I'd like to have a few pieces of home automation, perhaps some light sockets, rocker switches, and maybe changing the thermostats to Z-Wave... I'm not sure if any of it will integrate with the ADT Pulse panel, or if I need to buy the ADT iHub, or if it is better to go with something else like the Indigo or Vera.

I've also thought a nice feature would be to detect a car "coming home", such that logic would be in place to sense if the alarm was on, detect the car coming home (2 motion or proximity monitors) that would deactivate the alarm when the car pulled into the garage. I am unsure if 1) there are proximity RFID chips, mats, or sensors that can do this via Z-Wave or other, and 2) if this would be able to integrate into the ADT system.

Many years ago (2004 I believe) when I last lived in 120v land, I outfitted my circa 1837 apartment (just 1000sq ft) completely with X10, voice recognition, text-to-speach, diy alarm w/ web and email monitoring, full x10 web control, fade-up, fade-out lighting, drapery control, whole apartment audio (also with voice recognition for playlists, songs, artists etc). Just about every appliance was connected as well despite the cloth-lined copper wiring. I believe I was using a Windows XP PC, Homeseer, X10, LED switches, Audio/Video repeaters, numerous plugins, custom VB scripts to fetch news, sports scores, and weather data off the web, Way-2-Call for control of the system by phone, etc, etc. I also discovered an "Ocelot", unused in the package yesterday and I don't even remember what that is for. I have a lot of old X10 protocol stuff hanging around in unpacked boxes.

Thanks for any help
Current Tech: Mac laptops, iPod touch, Android phone, Apple Time Machine Wireless 5.4GHz Router, ADT Pulse with door, motion, fire alarm sensors
Floor plan: ~ 3000-4000 sq feet

Back