Z-Wave Advice Needed

msimhamb

I have an OPII that runs UPB for automation, to which I have added the following Z-Wave setup:

-  Leviton VRC0P RF + 3 serial interface
-  Leviton VRUSB Vizia RF + USB programmer
-  Leviton Z-Wave lamp dimmer module associated to VRC0P
-  Ecolink motion detector associated to VRC0P
-  Aeon Labs door/window  sensor associated to VRC0P
-  Leviton VRCPG hand held remote programer.

I had no issues getting the lamp dimmer and door sensor to show up in PC Access, but after a lot of trial and error, I got the motion sensor to work with the OPII only when I additionally associated "Button 2" on the sensor with the VRC0P using the hand held programmer.  

Questions:
- Am I missing something in setting up the motion sensor to work more intiutively with the OPII?
- I know the motion sensor puts out battery and tamper alerts. How can I get the OPII to read these?
- The door sensor puts out a tamper alert. How can I get the OPII to read this?

Thank for your patience with the long post. I'd appreciate any advice as this is my first DIY Z-Wave project. 

The VRC0P has a much more built-in functionality than is integrated into HAI, which can only process lighting and simple lock functions. The sensors and motion detectors appear as lights to HAI and it can only understand ON/OFF status (no tamper or any other advanced statuses). You'll need an intermediary "processor" to convey this information into HAI panel. If you have a mac, consider HaikuHelper for this and other functionality that is not available natively from HAI panel.

Thanks, that's unfortunately what I had suspected. I'm hoping HAI will have better Z-Wave support in the future.

I use HaikuHelper for the web interfere to OPII and for e-mail notification, but unfortunately don't have the programming skill to write scripts, etc. to query the VRC0P.  I can handle PC Access, but the documentation for HaikuHelper is not user friendly for a non-programmer like me.

In the meantime, while HAI improves their Z-Wave support via PC Access, I'm looking for simpler options or perhaps even HaikuHelper scripts others may have written to communicate with the VRC0P.

The most straightforward approach would be to get GE or HAI wireless sensors instead of z-wave. You'll get full integration and support by the HAI panel. Z-wave protocol is a challenge to implement even for programmers as there are so many options and variations that are supported by some manufactures and not the others.

How did you get the Ecolink sensor to associate with the network? I am trying to add a tilt sensor into the z-wave network for my HAI Omni system. The sensor looks to associate, the led light stops flashing as per the instructions, but it doe not show up in the Vizia rF installer software tool...

I looked up the instructions for the tilt sensor online and it appears to follow a protocol similar to the motion sensor to associate it with the network.

Here are the steps I followed:

1.  Remove the battery from the sensor
2. Click on "Include Device" in the Vizia installer interface
3. Click "OK" on the splash screen that pops up and immediately put the battery in the sensor.  The tool consistently detects the sensor this way.
4.  Click on the "Diagnostics" pull down menu in the Vizia installer interface and select RS232 Setup
5. Select the sensor and associate it to VRC0p Controller

With all this done, the sensor still doesn't trigger actions in OPII. Through trial and error, I figured out there needs to be an additional step of associating "Button 2" on the sensor with the Serial interface to pick up an "On" state and "Button 1" for the "Off State".

I performed the last step using my Vizia hand held remote programmer.  There's probably a way to do this from the Vizia installer tool, but I couldn't figure out how.

Hope this helps.  

Back