Zapped receiver


It appears that I just zapped my "stereo" receiver by walking across the room and touching it to adjust the volume. I got a wicked static shock and the speakers started making terrible buzzing noises.

Now I can't get any sounds out of it, and all the front panel buttons seem to work pretty much randomly... or at least not correctly.

There is a reset button on the front, and after pushing that, I get a display that says "everything is working correctly now". I just love built in diagnostics!

I'm somewhat knowlegeable with electronics. I took the cover off and can't find anything that I would be able to do anything with.

I am really steamed! What could have been done to prevent this, and why wasn't it done at the factory? I see now that it only has a 2 prong electrical cord, so any kind of currents / voltages like this would have to be conducted through the audio/ visual wiring... which apparently is what happened. So... we ( the manufacturer ) could put a button on the panel, along with electronics, that does what I don't know... apparently nothing... but display a message that "everything is working correctly now", but we couldn't include any means of dealing with static electricity. There ain't enough user wires back there already... I guess I'll have to run a ground wire to... what... everything, including me? We couldn'ta put a third prong on the power cord?

I have not determined the extent of the damage yet... I thought the speakers smelled not too good also... but am writing this to vent and try to calm down a little, before I smash something I don't wanna smash.

I knew I shoulda gone to church.

Thanks for "listening".

have a nice day ;)
Guess the real hard reset of unplugging made no difference either.
Sounds like the audio section got hit if the speakers smell and it buzzed badly.

Manufacturers seem to be cutting corners all around. My friend has a GE Refridgereator that stopped working. All the defrost and compressor controlls where on a PCB with a custom control IC. Burned a hole in the board when the high compressor current eventually degraded the solder joint on the relay controlling it. Like $165 plus labor to fix.