Anyone using Slingbox as part of home security?

technerd

I bought the 4 pack wireless infrared cameras on sale from CostCo awhile back. They transmit to a central receiver, which I plugged into my Slingbox.

So now while I'm away from home I can use Slingbox to remotely view the cameras at home as I wish.

The only drawback is the camera wireless signal is not encrypted or passkey protected, so I have them pointing at the various entry ways of my house, but I can't use them to monitor the interior of the house due to lack of privacy.

That's my super cheap and easy home monitoring system, for about $250. $100 for Slingbox, $150 for the 4 cameras+ receiver...

What do you think?

That's a pretty cool idea.

If you have not done so you may want to modulate your cameras into your cable system so you can check on your house and grab some channels on the road.

Even better, I would use the onscreen remote to trigger automation events such as turning on lights or turning on the sprinklers when some pesky brat rides thier bike all over your lawn.

The Slingbox has an excellent mobile client! I gave up on viewing my axis video servers because of the lack of a mobile client and use a combination of my SlingBox pro, my Ocelot, and two of THESE video switchers.

I had the Ocelot "learn" the IR commands from the video switcher's remote and connected the SlingBox IR output to the Ocelot IR input. I then had IR emitters from the Ocelot connected to the IR input of these video switchers. Then via CMax logic I switch that video switcher via SlingBox remote commands. Since the Slingbox has two video inputs I put one switcher on each input and can view and switch between eight cameras remotely on my cellphone (AT&T Tilt) via the slingbox client.

I also purchased two of THESE microphones and have one each on the left/right input of the slingbox so I also have audio as well (though it is not "switched" like the video).

Also since the Ocelot sees the IR output of the SlingBox, I can have channels from the SlingBox control anything the Ocelot is capable of (via CMax logic). So for instance I can have channels five through nine control lighting, events, etc...

The only problem I have, in general, with my Slingbox is that there is no native Linux version of Slingplayer. I can't run the client on my Asus EEE PC.

You can also use an ASEL to switch inputs via serial port command.
I use the ASEL combined with the Ocelot to have both video and audio switching. 8 cameras 8 audio sources, or any other combination I choose for 16 inputs.

Hmm... Interesting! I don't have a TV tuner, yet, so I have a question. Does Orb support Clear QAM for receiving digital channels from cable service provider? For example, I get NBC 40 HD in channel 85-1, ABC 27 HD in channel 85-2, etc.

Back