Premise DOH!

Motorola Premise
C

chucklyons

So I thought I'd share this nugget of knowledge with the few folks here - (my wife isnt quite sure why I find this amusing)

I have a script that ensures that street light is sync'd with the sunset/sunrise cycle via a RadioRa switch. I've been converting to the Ras; solid rock hard and stable, but expensive.

So I had two new ones to replace traditional switches in a 3-gang box. Pulled out the two old ones, left the existing RadioRa in the 3-gang. Flipped the power off to the section of the house that has that particular box, and also the rack containing my Premise Server. Installed the two new Ras, flipped the power back on, try the paddles, success! Turn the power back off, button everything up, flip the power back on, try the paddles, and the street light would go on....and then immediately shut off.

Well, the obvious answer, although not to me at the time, is when iI was bouncing the power to that circuit, Premise was powered down. When I finally buttoned everything back up, filled with the pride of a job well done, Premise was powered back on.

And of course, the script was working as designed...making sure that light is off during the day....

Sorry, had to share :wacko:

That moment when the light was forced off must have been priceless ... "Now what's wrong???".

That moment when the light was forced off must have been priceless ... "Now what's wrong???".
It was...'putting in a lutron radiora switch' - $129 wholesale
' tearing out the entire electrical system, replacing the main, the sub-panel, all the way back to the grid' - $1,500,000
Realizing the 'OnChangePowerState' script works like it has for years....priceless!

I have a very similar one that just happened to me on Friday... As always happens, the power went out at the office - while I was out running errands. I have network guys that work for me, but they were @ lunch. They get back and start powering things down (non essentials, then proceeding through the "eminent Failure" shutdown as the batteries only get us roughly 45 mins. Shutdown command sent, everything is off, battery seconds from dying, the power comes back.

OK - well, corp office been down for a while (100 people) - and at this point we've got 1,000 people in the field with no e-mail, portal, or any other access. Should take 30 minutes to power things back up (SAN, then DC's, then databases, then web servers)... go to bring up the first servers - the domain controllers - cuz nothing else can start 'till they do - but every time they start up, they hang for a bit at preparing connections, then within 30 seconds of CTRL-ALT-DEL showing, whether we log in or not, the server would go to "Shutting Down" and power itself off.

We troubleshot this thing for 7 hours with half my team, including working with Microsoft support, before finally realizing that as soon as the UPS service was starting, it was reading the shutdown command from the UPS and turning itself off. Because we never fully lost power, the flag never cleared itself. That was a long night.

oh, yeah - so, everything's up and working, fully tested... all went well... but Monday Morning, only half the office could get back to work... turns out during troubleshooting, DNS and DHCP were disabled on one of them, so there were only enough DHCP addresses for half the office.

Back