RJ-45 junctions, 3 female connectors

Qmavam

Hi guys,
I got an email from MPJA and they have a cat 5 rack with 48 in/96 out RJ-45 connectors.
The connectors are removable from the rack.
I hope this is useful to make a multi drop 1 Wire system.
I hope to use the connectors as a feed thru with a tap. About $0.65 per splitter.
Thought someone else might be interested.

Sixth item from top/ #16769 TT
http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=162
Mike

Hi guys,
I got an email from MPJA and they have a cat 5 rack with 48 in/96 out RJ-45 connectors.
I hope to use the connectors as a feed thru with a tap. About $0.65 per splitter.

Mike

That is exactly what I am looking for, my only issue is that I'm Canadian and I can't order from them without sending a wire transfer, and order more than $100 before shipping.

Is there a member that would mind ordering one of these for me shipped to Ogdensburg, NY, and I will be happy to paypal the funds ahead of time? Please send me a note if any one can help me out "project_x AT myblackdog DOT com"

Hi guys,

Mike

That is exactly what I am looking for, my only issue is that I'm Canadian and I can't order from them without sending a wire transfer, and order more than $100 before shipping.

Is there a member that would mind ordering one of these for me shipped to Ogdensburg, NY, and I will be happy to paypal the funds ahead of time? Please send me a note if any one can help me out "project_x AT myblackdog DOT com"

Can anybody help me out?

Hi guys,

Mike

Can anybody help me out?

Don't live in Ogdensburg. I live in Rochester...if that helps?

--Dan

Hi guys,

Mike

What I was hoping is that an American member would be able to purchase 2 of these units, and have them shipped to Ogdensburg, NY 13669 for me. I would be willing to paypal funds+fees+... prior to the transaction, it is cost prohibitive to order these as a Canadian. If some one is willing to order them for me please contact me at project_x AT myblackdog DOT com or through PM here.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Mike

Sorry Guys,
I've done some continuity checks and the part is not as I had thought.
Here is the pinout.
There is no connection from input A to input B.
The connections from C to A and C to B are below.
Input---Input------Input---Input
----C --- A-------------C --- B
Pin 3 to 3 ------------ 1 to 3
Pin 6 to 6 ------------ 2 to 6
Pin 7 to 7 ------------ 4 to 7
Pin 8 to 8 -------------5 to 8
I'm looking at adding jumpers inside the splitters but it's getting a bit Rube Goldberg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine For those unfamiliar.
Mike

From the spec sheet, I didn't think it was a 2-port hub. Sounded like a concentrator to combine 2 2-pair connections onto a 4-pair cable, which is exactly what your pinout indicates.

I use a slightly different wiring scheme and build drops from standard punchdown jacks.

This is a page I started 6 months ago and never quite finished. More important stuff to do came along.

http://www.ludditelab.com/one_wire_project...eme/index.shtml

From the spec sheet, I didn't think it was a 2-port hub. Sounded like a concentrator to combine 2 2-pair connections onto a 4-pair cable, which is exactly what your pinout indicates.

I have no knowledge about networking/cat5 wiring schemes, and assumed all pins would be connected to it's equivalent
pin in the other connectors. Even after I reread the pdf I still don't see any info that would have saved me $30.

I'm going to try adding four jumpers in the connector and use pins 7 and 8 as DQ and GRD and 6 and 3 for
B+ and GRD although I have no plan to use B+ and GRD at this time.

I thought I had a network installer going to give me a bunch of cutoff CAT5 wire so I could put a test
circuit together, but so far we haven't got together.

I use a slightly different wiring scheme and build drops from standard punchdown jacks.

This is a page I started 6 months ago and never quite finished. More important stuff to do came along.

http://www.ludditelab.com/one_wire_project...eme/index.shtml

I don't get your star connection, you have it wired as a series circuit not parallel.

http://www.ludditelab.com/one_wire_project.../star-small.jpg

Is this proposed or do you actually have it working?
Mike

Even after I reread the pdf I still don't see any info that would have saved me $30.
First paragraph:
"By utilizing the two unused Ethernet pairs in each connector, the port density of the module is doubled."
That implies its not a Y connection.

I don't get your star connection, you have it wired as a series circuit not parallel.
Its physically a star, but logically its a bus. The data line goes from the hub to the device on the blue pair, then returns to the hub on the orange pair. Power on green and brown only need to feed the device.

Is this proposed or do you actually have it working?
It works fine.

Its physically a star, but logically its a bus. The data line goes from the hub to the device on the blue pair, then returns to the hub on the orange pair. Power on green and brown only need to feed the device.
Sorry sda,
The picture I posted the link to is drawn as a series circuit.
A star is still connected in parallel, but all line come back to a central point to be connected.
Such as this.
Star.JPG
What do you think?
Mike

First off, read Maxim App note #148, "Guidelines for reliable 1-wire networks". Nowhere does it reference "series circuit" or "parallel circuit" so it would be helpful if you didn't use those terms.

From that note:
1. Linear Topology: The 1-Wire bus is a single pair, starting at the master and extending to the farthest slave device.

If you had clicked on the small graphic (star-small) on that page, it would have popped up a larger graphic. Follow the path of the bus with your finger, toe, nose, or other appendage. The blue line represents the blue pair (blue,white/blue), not just the blue wire. Likewise for the orange line.

Click on the below image and the forum will pop it up full size for ya.
star_large.jpg

The data bus is a linear topology. It goes from the hub to the device on the blue pair, and returns to the hub on the orange pair.

Power to the devices is supplied with a star topology. Power goes to the device on the green and brown pairs, and those pairs are all connected in the hub. Those aren't shown because its just clutter.

First off, read Maxim App note #148, "Guidelines for reliable 1-wire networks". Nowhere does it reference "series circuit" or "parallel circuit" so it would be helpful if you didn't use those terms.
Ok, sorry to use such technical terms. They might be useful terms to learn if your working with electric circuits.
From that note:
1. Linear Topology: The 1-Wire bus is a single pair, starting at the master and extending to the farthest slave device.
No problem with that.
If you had clicked on the small graphic (star-small) on that page, it would have popped up a larger graphic.
I did click on the image to get a larger graphic.
Follow the path of the bus with your finger, toe, nose, or other appendage.
Seems a little uppity.
The blue line represents the blue pair (blue,white/blue), not just the blue wire. Likewise for the orange line.
Now there's a detail that I was missing. So a solid blue line represents two wires, hmm, then the thing that looks like a well drawn wirenut
is not a wirenut. So I think this is the circuit you used.
Star_1.JPG

The data bus is a linear topology. It goes from the hub to the device on the blue pair, and returns to the hub on the orange pair.
I can see clearly now!!
Well that's pretty cool, since the cat 5 already has the extra pairs in it, you don't have run any more cable, so no extra work. I can see
situations were this arrangement could be very useful and also save some wire.
Thanks for the back and forth until I could get it figured out.
Mike

Ok, sorry to use such technical terms. They might be useful terms to learn if your working with electric circuits.
Maybe I should brush up. Those terms may have changed from what I learned 30 years ago.

So a solid blue line represents two wires, hmm, then the thing that looks like a well drawn wirenut
is not a wirenut. So I think this is the circuit you used.
Yes, your interpretation is correct. And actually that was an old graphic that hasn't been updated. And in that graphic the solid blue and orange lines were only supposed to represent DQ, but it makes more sense to say the lines represent the DQ/GND pair. The "well drawn wirenut" is a wirenut because I used to use small wirenuts before I went to jacks.

I can see clearly now!!
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Well that's pretty cool, since the cat 5 already has the extra pairs in it, you don't have run any more cable, so no extra work. I can see
situations were this arrangement could be very useful and also save some wire.
Another thing to be aware of is that every device hung off a hub using the blue/orange scheme doubles the bus length for that wire segment. If a device is 10 feet from the hub, it adds 20 feet to the bus (10 feet out to the device on blue and 10 feet back to the hub on orange). Shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

Hi guys,

Mike

Sorry Guys,
Here is the pinout.
I'm looking at adding jumpers inside the splitters.
Mike
Ok, I have added jumpers inside the splitters, not a bad job. Connector comes apart easy (at least the second one does :) I put two jumpers
on one side of the pcb, turned it over and add two more on the other side. I used wire wrap wire.
So I have two pairs wired in the connectors.
I was a little disappointed when I found the DS9097 had a 6 pin connector. I had make another trip
to Lowes and spend $6 for a box of connectors, when I only needed one.
I have a circuit with 4 splitters and 5 sensors set up and working (about 50 ft using onewireviewer).
I still haven't got the Lampomittari software to work for me, but I hope to visit my computer guru this week and get help.
Mike

Hi guys,

Mike

Sorry Guys,
Here is the pinout.
I'm looking at adding jumpers inside the splitters.
Mike
Ok, I have added jumpers inside the splitters, not a bad job. Connector comes apart easy (at least the second one does :) I put two jumpers
on one side of the pcb, turned it over and add two more on the other side. I used wire wrap wire.
So I have two pairs wired in the connectors.
I was a little disappointed when I found the DS9097 had a 6 pin connector. I had make another trip
to Lowes and spend $6 for a box of connectors, when I only needed one.
I have a circuit with 4 splitters and 5 sensors set up and working (about 50 ft using onewireviewer).
I still haven't got the Lampomittari software to work for me, but I hope to visit my computer guru this week and get help.
Mike
Mike, do you have pictures of the inside, after your jumpers? What is the pinout now?

Thanks,
Rob

Back