Intelliflow pump RS485 protocol

I got this message from Pentair today regarding the Screenlogic interface.

Thank you for your inquiry about ScreenLogic. Unfortunately ScreenLogic is a closed protocol and will not interface with home automation systems. If you are looking to integrate a home automation system to control the Intellitouch you would need to use an i-link adapter that converts RS485 to RS232. The i-link adapter should integrate directly from the Intellitouch to your home automation without the need of an additional computer. You will most likely just need to use a laptop or computer for initial setup just to verify that the i-link is communicating properly. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us at 800-831-7133 and reference case number TS00543151.

Thank you,
Kelly Houlihan
Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc

I called Pentair on this and they cited "security" as the reason to keep this proprietary (nasty viruses and worms might mess up the pool pump I guess). They claimed that the protocol is owned by Homelogic, so I contacted them to pursue further. The bottom line here is that there is no upside for Homelogic to expose this protocol (just engineering time and effort with no return). I understand the position, but don't like it.

The only way this protocol will get exposed is through reverse engineering. If anyone has the RS-485 decoded (all or part) and would not mind posting it that would be a big step in making this happen. I'll capture a rich set of screenlogic traces as soon as possible.

FWIW - the Pentair protocol adapter can easily be used without the router, as long as you can connect with its default IP address 192.168.1.2. The nasty screenlogic windows ap will bombard the local network with its version of a discovery protocol, looking for any installed adapters on the subnet, so beware. It sends broadcast ARP requests looking for every IP address in the subnet every 1/2 second (250 requests every 500 milliseconds). I think they got this backwards ...

Did you ever figure out this protocol? I have many of the pentair devices and need a better way to talk to it on my own screens. Thanks
I did to the extend that I needed. I only have to talk to an Intelliflow VS pump to make it go/stop, change speed and report status... to implement my own controller. Got everything working around the beginning of this year and had no problems since. I am also using the same bus to communicate between the 'house' computer and the pool controller. If you can read C and are interrested, I can send you the code I used to test/investigate the bus from a Linux system connected through an RS485 adapter.
Michael
Hi Michael, I would love to see some C code that does those functions over RS485. Can you post here or email to me? [email protected]
Thanks!

Did you ever figure out this protocol? I have many of the pentair devices and need a better way to talk to it on my own screens. Thanks
I did to the extend that I needed. I only have to talk to an Intelliflow VS pump to make it go/stop, change speed and report status... to implement my own controller. Got everything working around the beginning of this year and had no problems since. I am also using the same bus to communicate between the 'house' computer and the pool controller. If you can read C and are interrested, I can send you the code I used to test/investigate the bus from a Linux system connected through an RS485 adapter.
Michael

Hi Michael, I would like to see some C code that does those functions over RS485. Can you send an email to me? [email protected]
Thanks!

I am trying to control my Pentair pump over the RS-485 protocol from a Programmable logic controller that I will also use to control other functions such as variable speed fans, damper controls etc. for an indoor pool application. If I can get it all working I will be happy to share the resulting design. Right now I am trying to determine if I can talk directly to the Pentair pump and avoid the cost of the Pentair controller. Any sample code would be very helpful to understand their command set. I am only looking for basic commands like start, stop, and selecting speed. I have the Pentair pump with four speeds.

Michael, I would be grateful if you would email me your Intelliflo linux 'C' code. Thanks.

andrewd at sc dot rr dot com

Andrew

I would like to have a copy of what anyone has done as well. Please send to #adust #man# google account for mail. (without spaces or pounds)

Thanks

Hi!

I also would like the intelliflo protocol. I have a totally custom controller that I built and just finished replacing my old pump. I need to be able to control this pump in order to get my controller working again. My other option is that Intellicom - but would rather do it directly.

Thanks

eamil - nykr95 @ aol dot com

Any chance one of you could send me any protocol info that you received. Even if it is just for 5 functions:
off, speed 1, speed 2, speed 3, speed 4.
I would be very grateful.

[email protected]

One more request for the C code and info, please.

I connected my RS485-Ethernet bridge and can happily use wireshark to see the protocol exchange. But some guidance will allow me to move much quicker.

I have a multi-speed pump as well, which is just added to the RS485 link, so I am looking forward to being able to monitor that, as well as control everything, from my iOS devices.

Thanks for C-code guys, I will return anything I add.

-PeterM

One more request for the C code and info, please.

I connected my RS485-Ethernet bridge and can happily use wireshark to see the protocol exchange. But some guidance will allow me to move much quicker.

I have a multi-speed pump as well, which is just added to the RS485 link, so I am looking forward to being able to monitor that, as well as control everything, from my iOS devices.

Thanks for C-code guys, I will return anything I add.

-PeterM
Can't send it to you without an address...

Back