Hooking up a secu16 directly to a PC...

beelzerob

I have a spare secu16, and thought I'd hook it up so I can use it for the premise web conference tomorrow, as a learning tool. but I realize I don't know how to hook up this secu16 directly to a PC. It has no power supply, for one thing. Let me see if I've got this right:

1) Any 12V wall wart should work just fine for powering it. (manual pinout sheet I have says 9-12V DC 200mA max).
2) There's a comA and comB connection...from what I've heard, that's RS485. I *do* have a 485 to 232 adapter...it's just being used on my Datanab right now. But I can "borrow" it for this little experiment.

Does that sound correct?

beezlerob,

There's no Premise web conference scheduled for today (June 20)! I indicated that "a Saturday" would be the best day to hold the meeting but that did not mean this Saturday. I'll post an official meeting invitation in advance of the scheduled date (whenever that will be).

The details for connecting the SECU and RS-485 adapter are described in Premise's Help (see ADICON). However, your description is right on the mark.
  1. Connect the hardware and power it as you described in your post.
  2. In Premise Builder's main menu, select File > Addins
  3. Checkmark the Applied Digital driver and click OK.
  4. In the Explorer window, right-click Applied Digital and select New > ADNet

[*]Right-click ADNet and select New > Secu16I_16Inputs
    [*]Click ADNet
  5. In the Properties window, set the Network property to the appropriate port.
  6. Enable the DiscoverDevices property.

That should get you started.

I didn't know you could hook up an Ocelot add-on directly to a PC (with the right adapters), always thought the protocol was proprietary. Learn something new every day!

Oh. Well, good thing I didn't burn any wife-favors to free up this noon then!

Dan, the protocol might indeed be proprietary....but perhaps Motorola was able to get rights to it or something. It's just RS485.

beezlerob,

I amended the instructions in my first post. I learned that if I simply enabled DiscoverDevices, the driver automatically found my BOBCAT sensors. Being used devices, they all had pre-assigned addresses.

Alternately, enabling ADNet's AutoAddress property will erase the addresses of all ADICON devices on the RS-485 bus. Each device's LED lamp will flash rapidly. Press and hold the device's addressing button for about three seconds. Premise will detect the device and assign it an address (the LED lamp will flash at a slower rate). Premise will also add the device, as a new node in the driver's treeview, under ADNet (see the Explorer window in the attached image).

Attachments

• BOBCAT_sensors.png
    BOBCAT_sensors.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 20
I was watching one of the tutorial videos, so maybe I'll get to this part....but the PC I'm on and want to use doesn't have a serial port...but an older PC I have right nearby does. Does Premise allow for devices to be connected to other PC, like CQC does?

Yes and no. :D

Native drivers, like the Applied Digital driver, are designed to reside on the Premise Server. Minibroker drivers, like John in VA's Insteon driver, can reside on a remote PC.

If your toolbox contains a Lantronix UDS-10 (Ethernet to RS232 or RS485), you can configure it for RS485 and have the Applied Digital driver communicate via the LAN instead of a COM port. The complete instructions for doing this are in Premise's Help (In Help look for: Contents > Device Setup > Applied Digital ... "Connecting ADICON Expansion Modules to Premise Server").

123 said:
beezlerob,

There's no Premise web conference scheduled for today (June 20)! I indicated that "a Saturday" would be the best day to hold the meeting but that did not mean this Saturday. I'll post an official meeting invitation in advance of the scheduled date (whenever that will be).

The details for connecting the SECU and RS-485 adapter are described in Premise's Help (see ADICON). However, your description is right on the mark.

• Connect the hardware and power it as you described in your post.
  • In Premise Builder's main menu, select File > Addins
  • Checkmark the Applied Digital driver and click OK.
  • In the Explorer window, right-click Applied Digital and select New > ADNet
  • Right-click ADNet and select New > Secu16I_16Inputs
  • Click ADNet
  • In the Properties window, set the Network property to the appropriate port.
  • Enable the DiscoverDevices property.
That should get you started. So is there a way to talk to/query bobcat modules without using the ocelot?  I have a network of many bobcat temp/contactor/humidity modules and a couple secu16 modules.  I'd like to get the Ocelot out of the picture an just use a usb->RS485 module to talk to them.

So is there a way to talk to/query bobcat modules without using the ocelot?  I have a network of many bobcat temp/contactor/humidity modules and a couple secu16 modules.  I'd like to get the Ocelot out of the picture an just use a usb->RS485 module to talk to them.

Back