Any open-source projects that use Insteon?

GraysonPeddie

Has anybody done any open source projects for Insteon? I'd like to do this myself, but I feel like I'm pretty much limited to what I can do, like using SmartLabs Device Manager for 2414S/2414U (that didn't work with 64-bit version of Windows Vista) or 2412S, which can be a bit ackward and I only learned how to control the lights through RS232, including adding links and controlling groups, but that's about it and I couldn't remember the codes for that. Plus, not having an Insteon SDK without paying for it is just not worth it. :)

So, I did a research today and discovered this:

Is there open source code for Z-Wave?
Absolutely. Some of our vendors have embraced the open source and hobbyist communities extensively. For example, many free projects have cropped up using the Intermatic/Microsoft HA102 starter kit (with the ControlThink Z-Wave PC SDK). The xPL project also provides open source support for Z-Wave products.

Source: http://www.zwaveworld.com/ask/ask8.php

Reading this convinces me to forget about Insteon and switch over to Z-Wave, but if only my income permits me, so I will have to hold on to my Insteon devices for now.

On the side note: I've been thinking of whether to place this thread either in Home Automation forum or the Software forum, but since I've included the words "open source," "Insteon," and "Z-Wave," I think it belongs in the software forum since it's about whether SmartLab (Insteon) is open-source friendly or not...

Okay, that's cool.

I've been looking at Amazon.com and saw that the Intermatic Z-Wave Lamp/Appliance modules are competitively priced compared to Insteon's that I currently owned.

About the ControlThink CTZSB-1PC, which is Z-Wave PC SDK w/ThinkStick, I'm seeing a misprint in the price (or is it?). Has any enthusiasts bought this from ASIHome? Are there any other Z-Wave controllers for a home automation server that I can use for developing my own .net applications For Windows? I really don't mind if the ThinkStick (and other Z-Wave USB controllers) supports Linux natively, but it'd be nice if it could work under Mono, but I don't want to let Linux enthusiasts to be left out in the cold... Not even if I want to require Linux users to use Leviton RZC0P (ASCII-to-Z-Wave device) in order for it to work with Linux. In that case, the one I quoted above...

Is there open source code for Z-Wave?
Absolutely. Some of our vendors have embraced the open source and hobbyist communities extensively. For example, many free projects have cropped up using the Intermatic/Microsoft HA102 starter kit (with the ControlThink Z-Wave PC SDK). The xPL project also provides open source support for Z-Wave products.

...is quite contradictory.

Misterhouse supports Insteon (2412S) and is open-source. I'm not sure if it meets your requirements though. It's built on Perl and I'm not sure if Insteon is available in the Windows version or just the Linux version...

Terry

I know MisterHouse supports Insteon, but I'm more of a C# developer and I'm not interested in Perl. But my previous post is mostly about Z-Wave, as I'm going to be migrating from Insteon to Z-Wave.

IMHO. Paying for access to the Insteon SDK is no longer worth it at all.
Other early adopters have gone to Z-Wave, months after Insteon products had just starting to be sold.

I have some open source Linux code for Insteon (PLC only) that I've pretty much abandoned. The lack of support (ok almost hostile attitude) from Smarthome towards developers is the main reason. The code is still available, it's all C code with a GTK based GUI for some of it.

http://www.bobsplace.com/ilinks/

I read about SmartHome not supporting enthusiasts who use an Insteon SDK, but I am still uncertain whether to purchase an Insteon SDK or not. Well, I guess it's not worth my money...

Thanks.

Save your money for something else.

As an early adopter when Smarthome wanted exposure. The SDK was a busy place. Now it is almost abandoned. An ocasional new file on maybe a new device that is it.

I paid $99 for my membership and it was sold on a direct Smarthome web page. Now you have to search for it. I got my moneys worth; as we did get some special deals on devices and could interact with Insteon Engineers. That is all changed now.

Sorry to bump an older post, but there is a new answer to this question. Now that the 2413U (PowerLinc Dual Band) is out, there is an open source project you can use to control your Insteon and legacy X10 devices from a .NET application: FluentDwelling. I'm sorry, it won't let me post links as a new member, so you'll have to Google it.

Sorry to bump an older post, but there is a new answer to this question. Now that the 2413U (PowerLinc Dual Band) is out, there is an open source project you can use to control your Insteon and legacy X10 devices from a .NET application: FluentDwelling. I'm sorry, it won't let me post links as a new member, so you'll have to Google it.

That's all right. I currently have a 2414U. It'd be nice to do rid of the 2414U and switch to a dual-band so that I don't have to worry about having two access points when I am trying to find an additional wall outlet. Thanks for mentioning FluentDwelling. That seems to be the one I need, though I switched over to Z-Wave (with Aeon Labs Z-Stick and light modules that support ramp rates).

OpenSourceAutomation.com has Insteon PLM source in VB.NET and ZWave scource in C#.NET.

I have been working overtime at the day job for like 2 months solid, and my partner is moving, so we are behind on our release schedule.

But take a look and mabye it is something you can work with.

Vaughn

OpenSourceAutomation.com has Insteon PLM source in VB.NET and ZWave scource in C#.NET.

I have been working overtime at the day job for like 2 months solid, and my partner is moving, so we are behind on our release schedule.

But take a look and mabye it is something you can work with.

Vaughn

Thanks. I will try them out in my server and try them out.

Edited as of 6:10 PM: Unfortunately, I get an unhandled exception in two programs telling me that "C:\Logs\logname.log" is not found, such as c:\Logs\GUI.log when I start OSAE.GUI or C:\Logs\Manager.log when I start Manager. However, I think it's better to store the logs in C:\OSA\Logs and create the two files when needed. But when I do create a folder of C:\Logs but did not create two files, Manager starts, but OSAE.GUI freezes upon startup.

Edited as of 6:42 PM: Here's my workaround: Create C:\Logs folder, run the Manager, start the service, rename the C:\Logs to C:\Log, and start OSAE.GUI, click Continue to bypas the unhandled exception since it can't find C:\Logs\OSAE.GUI, and then the program works. If C:\Logs folder were not renamed or deleted, then OSAE.GUI will freeze upon launch.

Edited as of 6:48 PM: Nothing appears in any datagrids with service started when I go to right-click in the GUI, clicked in Tools, and then Objects. I did get an unhandled exception when I execute the menu, though.

I've installed OSA in Windows Server 2008 R2, which is running in libvirt/kvm virtual machine (my host is Ubuntu Server 10.04).

Thanks. I will try them out in my server and try them out.

Edited as of 6:10 PM: Unfortunately, I get an unhandled exception in two programs telling me that "C:\Logs\logname.log" is not found, such as c:\Logs\GUI.log when I start OSAE.GUI or C:\Logs\Manager.log when I start Manager. However, I think it's better to store the logs in C:\OSA\Logs and create the two files when needed. But when I do create a folder of C:\Logs but did not create two files, Manager starts, but OSAE.GUI freezes upon startup.

Edited as of 6:42 PM: Here's my workaround: Create C:\Logs folder, run the Manager, start the service, rename the C:\Logs to C:\Log, and start OSAE.GUI, click Continue to bypas the unhandled exception since it can't find C:\Logs\OSAE.GUI, and then the program works. If C:\Logs folder were not renamed or deleted, then OSAE.GUI will freeze upon launch.

Edited as of 6:48 PM: Nothing appears in any datagrids with service started when I go to right-click in the GUI, clicked in Tools, and then Objects. I did get an unhandled exception when I execute the menu, though.

I've installed OSA in Windows Server 2008 R2, which is running in libvirt/kvm virtual machine (my host is Ubuntu Server 10.04).

Yeah, there were some security/permission issues with the first installers, I think Brian has all that worked out, but we have been too backlogged to get the new release out. You might wait a couple weeks for our 0.3.0 build, a lot of import stuff has been reworked in it, the entire plugin system has been rewritten and it is all much more stable. Brian is in the middle of moving, and I am stuck working overtime 7 dyas a week for the next couple weeks, then I will be back dedicated to OSA. OSA is in VERY early stages and lots to do in it, but if someone wants to get involved early, anyone can work on it =)

Vaughn

I like this OpenSourceAutomation.com! It is so true "Currently there are many home automation programs on the market, but they are all very expensive. This makes it difficult for the average user to set up a professional home automation system without taking out a second mortgage. On top of the cost, these programs are very restrictive. "

Maybe we could design a cocoontech protocol. So many people on this forum are experts of home automation. We could probably define a best hardware spec.

Back