Phone Fault - Line always seized - help

gcimmino

Hello folks. Long time since I've visited last...

Our house phones stopped working a week ago and I thought it was related to the cable company's other outages. Turns out the M1 has seized the line and won't let go. I've power cycled it a couple times to no avail. A few seconds after power up, the seized light comes on and doesn't go out. Dialer active is out. Keypads indicate Phone Fault.

I could use some ideas..

Thanks!

If you search for 'seized', you'll see others have run into this as well. I would contact them first, just to make sure you aren't sending it in for nothing, but it sounds like they are able to repair this type of problem.

If you search for 'seized', you'll see others have run into this as well. I would contact them first, just to make sure you aren't sending it in for nothing, but it sounds like they are able to repair this type of problem.

Dan, thanks. Many of the posts seemed to be initial wiring problems, which isn't the case here as this has been installed for years.

However, looking at the threads did cause me to do some tests and there's a new data point:

I measure 51.5VDC at the Tip/Ring terminals on the M1. However, looking at this post:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry46398

I did as Spanky suggests
Another check is LCD Keypad User Menu 8,6,4, Last On Hook Telephone Voltage. With all telephones on hook, this menu should show 40 to 70 volts. If not, there is a wiring problem.

This menu reads zero. Since I measured voltage but the M1 doesn't seem to, I'm wondering if this concludes the board is the issue? Spanky?

Dan, thanks. Many of the posts seemed to be initial wiring problems, which isn't the case here as this has been installed for years.

However, looking at the threads did cause me to do some tests and there's a new data point:

I measure 51.5VDC at the Tip/Ring terminals on the M1. However, looking at this post:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry46398

I did as Spanky suggests

This menu reads zero. Since I measured voltage but the M1 doesn't seem to, I'm wondering if this concludes the board is the issue? Spanky?
I'm having the exact problem, phone line is seized after power outage, Elk, 8,6,4 reads 0V as well.
Anyone?

Lightning ?
most likely, power did go out

the ring to tip voltage is 50v with elk off, 31.1 with the elk on.

if i listen in at the demarc point, the elk tries to dial out gets a not in service message (even though if i call the number manually, i connect). i have set the phone country to something other than he US and back, rebooting in between...

any thoughts?

most likely, power did go out

the ring to tip voltage is 50v with elk off, 31.1 with the elk on.

if i listen in at the demarc point, the elk tries to dial out gets a not in service message (even though if i call the number manually, i connect). i have set the phone country to something other than he US and back, rebooting in between...

any thoughts?
I changed the number to a different one to test, but still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Can you monitor the tip and ring voltage when you use a phone and not the ELK?
31.1 volts sounds way too high for an off hook condition.
It may not even be tripping the phone companies equipment.

Can you monitor the tip and ring voltage when you use a phone and not the ELK?
31.1 volts sounds way too high for an off hook condition.
It may not even be tripping the phone companies equipment.
if i monitor it when i dial out with the phone, i see 9.1 volts

Only going to 31.1 volts with the ELK trying to dial. May indicate a problem.
I don't think it is pulling the line low enough to trigger the phone companies equipment. Indicating that a phone or device is off hook.
My 46.6 volt phone line. Goes to about 6.25 volts with my phones and 7.1 volts with an X10 SC1200 Security Console.

I am not sure if I am reading this right....

you said 50 with the elk off (is this disconnected?) and 31.1 with the elk on (this is elk connected but not doing anything)

if this is so I am guessing something on the board is damaged and it needs to be returned for service

Back