ELK Time Server Time Zone

sloperb

I have an Elk M1G with the M1XEP. I've programmed the M1XEP to use a time server to keep the clock up to date. I programmed the Time Zone offset in the Sunrise/Sunset area as instructed on the M1XEP screen. However, my time zone setting doesn't seem to be working properly. The displayed time is always GMT.

Does anyone know if there's a trick I might be missing?

I have an Elk M1G with the M1XEP. I've programmed the M1XEP to use a time server to keep the clock up to date. I programmed the Time Zone offset in the Sunrise/Sunset area as instructed on the M1XEP screen. However, my time zone setting doesn't seem to be working properly. The displayed time is always GMT.

Does anyone know if there's a trick I might be missing?

Once you change the settings, are you saving it to the controller?

Once you change the settings, are you saving it to the controller?

I am, yes. I've tried all manner of incantation... change TZ in M1G, reboot M1XEP, update time server setting on M1XEP, change time of time server sync to force time server update, test time server...

Does the time server you are connecting to only provide GMT?

So when you save the proper time zone, and then go back into the module, it does not save?

Are you connected to the XEP, and not just in the RP software? I know you can mess with the RP software, but if you never connect, it wont take. Also make sure you are saving the setup to the RP program itself.

Yes, I'm connecting properly and the Sunrise/Sunset Timezone settings are definitely being saved to the M1G and I can read them back no problem.

The ghosted out TimeZone setting on the M1XEP sometimes says +0 GMT and sometimes reflects the same value that has been set on the M1G (-8 Pacific), but I haven't been able to figure out when/why. But it doesn't seem to matter as what I see displayed on the keypad is always in GMT.

I'll admit I thought all time servers reported in GMT. Is that not the case? I configured my system to use ntp.ucsd.edu.

What firmware version do you have? There have been issues in older versions. Also (don't know if it matters, but...) what time zone have you selected in the Sunrise/Sunset section?

I have not yet messed with firmware updates. Here are the versions I see. Should I be upgrading?

M1G
hardware: 0.13
boot: 3.3.2
Firmware: 5.1.14

M1XEP
Hardware: 1.0
Boot: 1.1.4
Firmare: 1.2.14

M1KP2/KP3
Hardware: 1.4
Boot: 3.0.14
Firmware: 2.1.48

I'll admit I thought all time servers reported in GMT. Is that not the case? I configured my system to use ntp.ucsd.edu.

Yes, all NTP servers report in GMT. The client is responsible for converting that to the local timezone/daylight savings time. Also an NTP client will not sync with a server that is not synced itself.

The current M1 firmware version is 5.2.2. There is mention of a fix for Daylight Savings Time on the M1XEP in connection with NTS. Not sure if this is your issue. Check the release notes.

M1 firmware levels 5.2.8 and 5.2.10 contain additional daylight savings time fixes.  If you aren't running 5.2.10 and are having troubles, I would upgrade to that.

Back