Insteon vs Zwave vs Zigbee vs UPB Comparison 2011

Shurafa

This post is specifically targeted at the DIY market. Since neither Google nor the local Cacoontech search function have been able to come up with a good comparison between Insteon, UPB, Zigbee, Zwave that is not several years old I decided to start a new topic: Hopefully when people Google Home automation comparison or Insteon vs Zwave vs UPB vs Zigbee this post will show up. These seem to be the four most commonly discussed modern DIY Home Automation protocols. If there is anything you think I should add please let me know! (I am new to “home automation” so I am looking to fellow forum members to help guide this discussion).

This comparison will consist of the following:

1. Very Brief Overview of Each Technology’s Core Componenets
2. Popularity (Does anyone know where to find sales figures?)

1. Technology Overview of Each Standard:

These descriptions have been copied from Wikipedia:
Insteon - Insteon is designed to enable simple devices - such as light switches - to be networked together using the powerline, radio frequency (RF), or both. All Insteon devices are peers, meaning each device can transmit, receive, and repeat any message of the Insteon protocol, without requiring a master controller or routing software

Universal Powerline Bus - UPB was developed by PCS Powerline Systems of Northridge, California and released in 1999. Based on the concept of the ubiquitous X10standard, UPB has an improved transmission rate and higher reliability.

Zigbee - This does not seem to be a real DIY standard as the most popular vendor (Control 4 offers a proprietary solution). I have included it because it seems to be a popular topic when searching for Home Automation Solutions. ZigBee is a specification for a suite of high level communication protocols using small, low-power digital radios based on the IEEE 802.15.4-2003

Zwave – Z-Wave is a proprietary wireless communications protocol designed for home automation, specifically to remote control applications in residential and light commercial environments. The technology uses a low-power RF radio embedded or retrofitted into home electronics devices and systems, such as lighting, home access control, entertainment systems and household appliances.

2. Popularity:

I have thus far not been able to find any sales

HA Technology Comparison Spreadsheet here on CocoonTech.com summs up all the info you are looking for.

I guess the Popularity could be determined not just by the sales numbers, but by the number of search results returned by search engines for each technology (the more people talk about it on the Net the better). But in the long run, I think what matters is what suites you best. Each instalation is different, and for DIY market in particular, you yourself will have to tinker with different pieces of hardware to make them work together as a system. So check the Spreadsheet and determine for yourself what suites YOU best.

If I were to do it again, I'd most likely stick with UPB... but that said, Z-Wave is turning up everywhere and for that reason will probably become the new standard... I'll likely end up with a mix.

I've been using Insteon. It's far from perfect, but it's quite good. The lights respond very quickly and I haven't had any major problems with it, aside from some interference requiring a few filters as well as with the PLC initially, but I was an early adopter. Smarthome has been pretty good with taking care of any problems I've had with their devices in the past. I know there are a few (very vocal) anti-Insteon members here, and while I can't relate to their experiences, they probably have valid arguments, too, I'm sure. Here is someone on the Smarthome forum that has had some serious issues: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7701 I've never seen anything like that yet, but I have a relatively small number of devices. Maybe I've been lucky.
The ISY is the device that makes Insteon a better option for me, in my opinion. It makes managing the network and programming the devices a breeze. If they made one for UPB, I might consider switching over.
I've always been curious about UPB and I'd really like to hear from someone that has used both UPB and Insteon. What is the big deal with UPB? I've looked at a few devices and they don't seem to look better or anything, and in fact, there seem to be less options and things you can do accomplish with them. I haven't seen anything aside from switches, actually. Skimming through the Insteon devices, I see the Insteon Power Meter, the Power Syncing Controller (SynchroLinc), Freeze Detectors, Refrigerator Failure Sensors, Water/ Moisture Sensors, the I/O Linc, etc.

Thanks.

I've always been curious about UPB and I'd really like to hear from someone that has used both UPB and Insteon. What is the big deal with UPB?

I've been using Insteon for several years now and, at least for now, it's my favorite protocol. Just like you I didn't experience any of the device reliability issues described by other users (if I would've maybe my opinion would be different). In all those years I had only one dimmer (actually it was a 8-button KeypadLinc) that has gone bad, but it was replaced with a newer (laser-etched) model by Smarthome for no additional fee, so no complaints here. Currently I have over 20-30 Insteon/X10 devices in my set-up (plug-in as well as wired-in).

I've also considered (tested) a few UPB devices (and I still have one UPB dimmer working in my system, which I plan to replace with Insteon as soon as Smarthome would have another good sale :). I found Insteon to be more to my liking for several reasons. Granted my reasons could be subjective, in no particular order those are:

1) The look and feel of the devices. I like the LED power bar on Insteon dimmers - you can see at a glance the current brightness level and I love the effect it creates when scenes are activated :). I also like the click sound of the Insteon devices more. The UPBs are loud (not as loud as X10, but still loud and they feel cheaper).
2) I like the variety of available devices (mentioned by Quixote_1 above) and backward compatibility with X10. I use several X10RF devices in my set-up - like motion sensors and keypads. They are dirt cheap and work pretty reliable (you just have to make sure the batteries are fresh).
3) I like the ISY99i controller - it makes set-up a snap, it's tiny and power efficient, no need to run PC. Although, to be fair, I'm not the biggest fan of its programming language (personally I would be better off with plain Java, but I understand they wanted to make it simpler for the average user). It also lacks any voice features (announcements, voice recognition).
4) There's lots of quality software to chose from for all platforms (iPhone, PC, Mac, Linux). I hate that UPStart is available only for PC and looks so '90s. Even X10's ActiveHome software looks much better.
5) I don't like the spikes that UPB creates on the power line. Every time I use it I feel like it can fry my audio set-up (I know it won't, but for some reason I still feel guilty).
6) And last but not least - Insteon devices in most cases are cheaper than UPB.

Here's a few tips for reliable Insteon network:
-Don't forget to install at least two RF Access Points.
-Install PLC filters for all noisy equipment (PCs, UPS, transformers) - it can make HUGE difference in reliability. In case of problems, try unplugging devices one by one to determine what needs to be filtered out.
-Choose dual-band devices over standard ones when available (older Insteon devices do not create RF/PLC mesh, although Smarthome would want you to believe otherwise).
-Don't be afraid to install many devices. As opposed to X10, the more Insteon devices you have the more reliable is the network.
-And finally, do yourself a favor, spend ~$300 on ISY99i - it will spare you a headache and will pay for itself in aspirin whenever you have to debug any issues or set-up large scenes.

Sorry for the long post.

-Choose dual-band devices over standard ones when available (older Insteon devices do not create RF/PLC mesh, although Smarthome would want you to believe otherwise).

Hey, do you find that the dual-band devices significantly boost reliability? I would think so; if there is interference on the powerline, then the RF signal would still get through and possibly vice-versa. Seems to me like that could even eliminate the need for filters on certain devices if one were to try to set up an Insteon network on the cheap?

-D

Too bad there are No Dual Band Insteon devices with relays in them yet.
Like ApplianceLincs and SwitchLinc Relays.
I have mostly non incandescent lights that are not suitable for dimmer type controls.

I voted "other" on the first two questions, but only because there wasn't an "I don't know" option. I'm using Insteon, I like it but I don't feel I can honestly say it's better than systems I have never tried nor thoroughly researched. As for "most popular", I doubt the boards I read are representative.

Hey, do you find that the dual-band devices significantly boost reliability?

Yes, I definitely think that they do (boost reliability). After I started adding dual-band devices to my network all my intermittent reliability issues have dissapeared. Actually, it was one of the reasons I decided to go all-in with Insteon - especially after reading INSTEON Compared [PDF]. Unfortunately, the "dual-mesh" premise is only true if ALL your devices are dual-band. Which was not the case.

For example, I have all my A/V gear in the rack behind Belkin power conditioner, which cleans power line from all the "junk" (which includes X10/Insteon and HomePlug signals). So, older Insteon plug-in modules wouldn't work there at all. But the new LampLinc (which I used to connect some lights to light up the rack for Christmass) ;) works there like a charm. I hope that Smarthome will update the entire line with dual-band devices sooner than later.

Good info there. Thanks!

Just skimming through the PDF, it appears that the RF devices will receive but not send? The diagram on page 7 (page 11 of the PDF), does not show the RF devices providing any RF coverage.

I'm a little confused by that. Why would the RF devices not repeat the wireless signal? Someone needs to test this.

Good info there. Thanks!

Just skimming through the PDF, it appears that the RF devices will receive but not send? The diagram on page 7 (page 11 of the PDF), does not show the RF devices providing any RF coverage.

I'm a little confused by that. Why would the RF devices not repeat the wireless signal? Someone needs to test this.

I'm pretty sure that RF-only devices do not repeat the wireless signal. That's because these are the battery-powered devices (RemoteLinc, Motion Sensor, TriggerLinc) and it makes more sense to conserve power. Whereas the dual-band devices do repeat both powerline and RF messages. In fact it says this in the Insteon Details document, page 41. Both of these documents are fairly old so they don't directly address specific devices, many of which hadn't been created when they were written, and some details are no longer correct (e.g. the RF frequency changed) but I think this is still true.

They go to into a standby mode. To save the batteries.
Most will not even respond to a status request or a link database read or write. Unless they are woken up by their linking button.

As pointed out. The PDFs are old and even the RF frequency now used is different. 915Mhz is now what all of them use. The original 904MHz was only in the old 2442 SignaLinc RF that is discontinued.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I suppose that as long as the dual-band devices repeat the wireless signal then the others are not really important. I wouldn't really expect a RemoteLinc to repeat the signal anyway.

Actually, it was one of the reasons I decided to go all-in with Insteon - especially after reading INSTEON Compared [PDF].

I just skimmed through the UPB section of this document. It is quite the marketing piece. They're putting a spin on every other technology out there to make Insteon appear to be the best technology ever invented! I guess that's what the marketing people do. :wacko:

i was thinking the same way when i read it but i took it to a buddy of mine, electronic engineer.
he is not into any HA at all but he did say in paper the Insteon way is better than sending 40v spikes like UPB.
so its up to Insteon to apply that to the real world, its the implementation of their fundamental theory what could go wrong.

Back