M1XEP direct monitoring

mbski

I am up and running, being monitored directy thru M1XEP. Alarm relay, set up took less than 5 mins, no other eqipment needed.
If anyone has any further questions feel free to contact me!

Thank you Mike Bell

I am up and running, being monitored directy thru M1EXP. Alarm relay, set up took less than 5 mins, no other eqipment needed.
If anyone has any further questions feel free to contact me!

Thank you Mike Bell

Does this mean you are via web in 5 mins?

Does this mean you are via web in 5 mins?

It means Im being monitored by Alarm Relay via internet, directly thru my M1EXP.
setup took 5 mins. with there tech telling me the info to put into the central station tab on my M1EXP. performed various tests, setting off alarm etc.. and its reporting all correctly.

Well that's a pretty big deal since not too many Alarm monitoring service seem to support the M1 XEP directly. Thanks for sharing!

Mike, any special charges for this, or just the $8.95/month described on their website? Thanks.

All is the same $8.95, if your new they do charge a setup fee, I think its $35.00. Also you need the newest firmware for the M1EXP.

Well that's a pretty big deal since not too many Alarm monitoring service seem to support the M1 XEP directly. Thanks for sharing!

Virtually every central station supports the DSC-Surgard IP reporting format. Outside of DSC and ELK, the list is very short of products that support this protocol. At least I don't know of any others.

Virtually every central station supports the DSC-Surgard IP reporting format. Outside of DSC and ELK, the list is very short of products that support this protocol. At least I don't know of any others.

The ELK M1 support of the Surgard IP protocol is a legal agreement with DSC, not a backward engineered version. The Surgard IP protocol is probably the most widely used IP reporting protocol that Elk could use.

More to come! :rolleyes:

If I use the M1XEP for direct monitoring, can I still have my home automation system talk to the Elk to get motion sensor status (e.g. does direct monitoring use the same port)? If not, what is the recommended setup (since I don't have a phone line)? I know I can't run the RP software and use the Elk with my HA system at the same time...

since when ELK supports Surgard over IP??
their manuals only talk about the OH receiver.... is there a firmware update that allows Surgard?

since when ELK supports Surgard over IP??
their manuals only talk about the OH receiver.... is there a firmware update that allows Surgard?

As stated in my last reply to this post, you need the newest firmware. I beleive elk has made this possible, with the latest M1EXP firmware.

The DSC Surgard IP reporting is all formatted and sent from the M1XEP Ethernet module. The IP reporting does not limit any other connections to the M1. You can still gather data and send commands to the M1 through the M1XEP as always like using the iPhone, Android phones, or other automation software.

The Surgard receiver and the M1XEP maintains a monitored connection status. Should the Ethernet fail, secondary backup central station telephone numbers and or email messages can be sent.

Some people have had some reliability issues with their XEP's locking up - if relying on it for monitoring, I would be quite tempted to find a great watchdog example Spanky showed a while back that uses an output/relay in-line with the power to the XEP that can reboot it upon loss of comm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems huge! Using an ABN, I believe the Elk will pretty much always think it successfully communicated with the CS because the ABN simulates it - therefore limiting the Elk's ability to run backup rules... with this method you get the simpler IP option most of the time, with the ability to add a Cell backup like the Uplink Anywhere for a more reliable solution.

Or - you could probably use something like a Cradlepoint router with a 3G backup and get the same effect it would seem... making this even simpler? Spanky - if there's a momentary disruption in IP connectivity while the 3G backup connection is established by the router, would the M1 retry a couple of times?

Using an ABN, I believe the Elk will pretty much always think it successfully communicated with the CS because the ABN simulates it - therefore limiting the Elk's ability to run backup rules...
I don't think this is true. AFAIK, NextAlarm's ABN is just a tweaked VOIP box locked to communicate with their call center. I don't think it has any intercept or store/forward capability. But I don't have one, so I dunno. I hear you can dial into the ABN and use it with the Elk two-way for silent audio monitoring.

Should the Ethernet fail, secondary backup central station telephone numbers and or email messages can be sent.
If the Ethernet/Internet should fail, I don't think the XEP can send email messages directly. Were you referring to email notifications coming from NextAlarm or similar?

Back