Haiku Haiku Feature Improvement Ideas

bighorn

Lupinglade:

My entire family (including kids age 12 and 9) is loving Haiku and we use it on a daily basis on a combination iPads, iPhones and iPod touches. Like many things that people use regularly, we have thought of ways to improve Haiku based on our respective experiences. The purpose of this post is to share a few of my families' ideas on how to improve the functionality of this great product.

Audio Controls

1) Include a pop up numeric key pad to directly change the XM radio station. The current channel changing functionally requires pushing the up or down arrow until the descired channel is reached. When one goes from channel 10 to 80 this can take quite some time and effort.

2) Add a "-" and "+" button to the end of the volume slider control. To currently change the volume, one moves their finder along the slider. If one is using a iPhone, small movements along the short slider (especially with big fingers) can create very large changes in volume if you have a powerful amp and efficient speakers. By adding a "-" and "+" button/touch to the end of the volume slider control, the user could make smaller and more predictable volume changes.

Lighting Control

1) Under the Control tab, allow a user to turn off all the lights in a named room by simply holding their finger on the room name instead of having to open up each room at time.

Keep up the great work and let us know if you want more feedback.

Thanks!

Lupinglade:

My entire family (including kids age 12 and 9) is loving Haiku and we use it on a daily basis on a combination iPads, iPhones and iPod touches. Like many things that people use regularly, we have thought of ways to improve Haiku based on our respective experiences. The purpose of this post is to share a few of my families' ideas on how to improve the functionality of this great product.

Awesome and thank you for the suggestions! We have lots of exciting stuff coming soon too.

Audio Controls

1) Include a pop up numeric key pad to directly change the XM radio station. The current channel changing functionally requires pushing the up or down arrow until the descired channel is reached. When one goes from channel 10 to 80 this can take quite some time and effort.

This is already planned: to add a full set of buttons for all devices.

2) Add a "-" and "+" button to the end of the volume slider control. To currently change the volume, one moves their finder along the slider. If one is using a iPhone, small movements along the short slider (especially with big fingers) can create very large changes in volume if you have a powerful amp and efficient speakers. By adding a "-" and "+" button/touch to the end of the volume slider control, the user could make smaller and more predictable volume changes.

This is already on the TODO for both volume and lighting level.

Lighting Control

1) Under the Control tab, allow a user to turn off all the lights in a named room by simply holding their finger on the room name instead of having to open up each room at time.

This is a new suggestion -- I will add it to the TODO and we'll see what we can come up with. I see that it would definitely be useful though.

Keep up the great work and let us know if you want more feedback.

Sure, your feedback helps us improve the product! We can't guarantee to add every feature, but we pick the best ones to add.

I know in another thread you are working on getting the PTZ (at least the PT) working on my cams. But what I would like to see is full screen cam image on iPhone when in landscape mode. Right now the image in landscape is even smaller than portrait. Again the CAVU free (free in in app store) is a good example to use. They make the camera the FULL SCREEN then them have a 'return to app' button that comes up on top of image when double tapped. Total Control does same but superimposes a light colored controls on image. I would like to see something similar where the cam image can go fullscreen with a method to return back to current size (or main camera screen or wherever in Haiku).

Also, not as important but would be nice is to tile a few cameras, so maybe 2 side by side.

I still suggest some type of view that allows for a home layout reference. i.e. a floor diagram or similar uploaded into the phone to be used as a background. Even if its as simple as touching a room brings up that "room" in the now standard Haiku format.

This is a wife requirement. She likes being to see the house and touch a room. Its the one thing that keeps me from using Haiku

Its literally the only reason i have to use Homeseer/CQC vs Haiku.

Its something we are considering for the future. Currently this is possible using HaikuHelper via a custom web interface.

I don't know if this would be a feature per se but just thinking long term about Helper... Is the plan to keep Helper pretty much as is from the perspective of it being a high level 'Developer' tool where you can only create stuff via code or is the thought to open it more to the masses and have a GUI in front of it to do much of it via the GUI or wizards?

Back