Using existing home phone network for 1-wire

hagak

So I have been trying to figure out a way to measure temperature thoughout our house without too much effort. I stumbled onto 1-wire which seems it may fit the bill. Our house is an older house built in the 70s but has a phone jack in each room. We do not use the phone lines at all. I believe most of the lines are daisy chained since I only see a couple of wires back a the demarc. Seems we have 2 or 3 cables of the flat phone cord back at the demarc and since the house has 7 phone jacks I assume a few are daisy chained.

Does anyone know what problems I may run into with trying to use the existing phone wire? I read many people warning that some phone cord will not work since the cross the tip and ring wires however I would think I should be able to re terminate the jacks to solve that issue if I even have it. I would not think they would cross the tip and ring in the house wiring?

Considering how small the sensors are it would be nice to be able to just wire one into an RJ-11 plug and be able to just pop it into the wall socket.

I did that in the house before this one with my 1-wire connections to the daisy chained telephone wires.

At the time it was only 1-wire devices not needing an additional power wire (parasitic and non parasitic).

I have some very old AAG combo Humidity sensors which are maybe 1/4 the size of my fingernail that work just fine with only two wires.

Today I've divided up the 1-wire networks with 3 Temp-08's and 4 9097's (serial and USB). Still set up today in Star Topology which works for me. The recomendation though is a mixture of the topology. (hub and spoke style).
I utilize the older telephone external jacks or RG-6 jacks.

Considering how small the sensors are it would be nice to be able to just wire one into an RJ-11 plug and be able to just pop it into the wall socket
I crimped my leads to RJ11 and made them very short so the head of the temp sensor is partially inside the RJ11 plug.
My original attempt at doing this failed because the home run wiring with such variabilty in lengths resulted in failed communications. I inserted a 1-wrie hub and that solved the problem. In your case if may be be a problem at all if you are daisychained. I did temp sensors and 1-wire LCD on a pair of telco wires. I believe I inserted 5V locally for the LCD.

Back