Controlling Somfy drapes with RF vs RS485

carempel

We're building our home, are currently in the middle of wiring with walls wide open. We're using HAI Lumina Pro for whole house automation, including 5 Somfy drapes (1 Sonnesse 30 ST30 & 4 Glydea).

We were originally told to control the drapes with via serial commands, using several URTSDI's & 2 Somfy URTSII in the attic. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would we use RF when we can use the wired RS485 & IP interface?

I asked the rep & he said that RF is more "flexible." If we have wall controls for the drapes & the HAI touchscreen & app, what more flexibility do we need? I have the impression that he doesn't have much experience with the RS485 setup/wiring, and is more comfortable with the RF system, thus why he's pushing it.

Does anyone have any experience with the RS485 setup? I welcome any feedback.

We're building our home, are currently in the middle of wiring with walls wide open. We're using HAI Lumina Pro for whole house automation, including 5 Somfy drapes (1 Sonnesse 30 ST30 & 4 Glydea).

We were originally told to control the drapes with via serial commands, using several URTSDI's & 2 Somfy URTSII in the attic. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would we use RF when we can use the wired RS485 & IP interface?

I asked the rep & he said that RF is more "flexible." If we have wall controls for the drapes & the HAI touchscreen & app, what more flexibility do we need? I have the impression that he doesn't have much experience with the RS485 setup/wiring, and is more comfortable with the RF system, thus why he's pushing it.

Does anyone have any experience with the RS485 setup? I welcome any feedback.

Somfy has only recently introduced RS485 interface for their Glydea drapes and I have not yet seen the one for ST30, that is probably why your rep is not comfortable offering it. I have a radio controlled Glydea which I have also tested with RS485 control board (you can have only one and not both at the same time). It was easy to set up using Somfy software, but I have not yet connected it to my HAI OP2. I do plan doing it eventually and also add 4 shades, with RS485 you can have 2 way communication with the motor.

I don't hold the newness of the product against the rep, I get that, but I don't get playing it safe. Given that we'll never have open walls again, wouldn't we be better off going with the new & better technology. As cocooners, we're always trying to anticipate the next technology & future proof ourselves, I think it would be a long term mistake to go RF when there is a better wired technology out there.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences in the technologies.

Also, given I'm leaning towards the RS485, what parts do I need? Any idea where I can find a wiring guide?

You won't regret if you pre-wire for the window covering, that will give you the most options. You'll need 16/2+cat5 for the ST30 and cat5 + nearby outlet for Glydea. You can find all documentation on somfy website, just search for RS485. You may consider somfy part 1870193 for connecting all cat5 wires, it handles 5 motors. And you'll need HAI RS485 interface for control.

back with another question.... the cost to use RS485 seems to be significantly higher than RF. Do you think it's worth the extra expense?

How did your cost came up much higher? The cost should be comparable on the motor side, and when you consider automation then you'll save on having less expensive control option for RS485 setup. For RF you'll need to get a 16 channel controller for ~$400 and it is only one way (does not keep track of drape position).

The RS485 method is priced $1500 more. There's some price differences in the rods, the RF method uses RTS rods which are cheaper than the regular rods. The RS485 also has 6 hours of programming vs 2 hrs. Also, there's extra cost for control modules & wall switches at each window.

I think that part of it is that I never expected automated drapes to run for $10,000.....

It appears that whoever quoted you the job is not familiar with RS485. Hence 6 hours vs 2 of programming. The rods for Glydea are the same, only the motor connection is different. It also seems that you were quoted a stand alone solution. Are you planning on any other automation? Then you will not need separate wall switches for the drapes. Not sure what are "control modules" you reference. If you use HAI as your automation controller, it has Somfy interface and can link your drapes with light switches. As for cost, automation adds a premium to everything. Somfy is a high end product and it is very nicely made. You can find a lot cheaper solutions but they will lack features and wont be as "solid". RS485 and z-wave are the only options to allow to get the status of the drape/shade, and they are pricey. But $1500 over the RF - that's a premium for a product they don't have experience with imo.

I'll be running HAI LuminaPro & Insteon lights, and was planning on mostly running the drapes based on scenes & climate, so yeah, I shouldn't need so many wall switches.

Could you elaborate on how the motor connection is different? We're in the process of wiring as I type and need to get it right. Currently, we have a standard 110V AC outlet tucked up under each drape location & we were going to run a cat6 to it.

The RS-485 quote includes:
- Glydea 35 & 60 RS-485 center traverse rods,
- "RS485 Control Modules" for each rod (no part number or further details are included),
- cat5 RJ45 splitters,
- 12"x12"x6" power panel w/ 5-motor controller,
- RS-485 Adapter

I think you nailed it, I'm paying for the lack of experience.

The motor that came with my Glydea 60 had a RS485 insert that I had to swap with RF insert. If you have cat5 near the motor, you'll connect 2 wires to the motor and the other end will be connected to the "power panel w/ 5-motor controller" I posted the part number for that earlier. You don't need it just for the drapes, but it will be a hub for power for ST30 shade motors, so might as well connect all communication wires to it. Then you need HAI RS485 module (is that what they mean by RS485 adapter?). Not sure though how you'll use Lumina and Insteon together.

Also, if you have a light switch near window, make it a keypad and you can program extra buttons to open and close shades.

I'm not sure if it's couth to ask, but would you mind sharing where you bought your rods?

We're new construction, so we can run wires to wherever necessary. You mentioned connecting 2 wires to the motor, I thought it was one 110V AC & 1 cat5 - did I misunderstand?

From what I've read, we can control the insteon lights using the HAI 2-Way X10 Transceiver Kit. I'm sure that there's away to control the drapes with the insteon switches. Once I get my head wrapped around powering the rods, that will be my next project.

I really appreciate your patience. Being in the wiring stage, I haven't ordered any parts yet so it's all a bit abstract....

Yes, I was only referring to the control (cat5). For drapes you will use 110V outlet to power them plus cat5 for control. For shades you can run power wire to your closet together with cat5. If you have cat5 near the motor, it'll cover most vendors, including somfy. I bought my rods at worthington and my shades at av-outlet.com. I tried to attach a file with connection diagram, but it was too big.

http://www.automatedshadestore.com/shop/avactis-images/u/Sonesse%20ST30%20RS-485/Sonesse%2030%20RS485%20wiring-1.pdf

As for you plan on HAI X10 control of Insteon, I would be skeptical on its 100% reliability. X10 is an old technology, and Insteon is not known to support it well. Before making an investment, I would get a switch and a keypad from a few brands and give it a try first. IMO Insteon keypads are very flaky and buttons are too small. And over time you'll find that you don't even use wall switches if you have automation. But trying some first will give you a better idea of what you like. Also take a look at Centralite, is is supported by HAI.

Thanks for all your feedback! With part numbers in hand, I think I'm going to check out the websites you mentioned & try to build it myself, and not use the reseller. As you said, he's too inexperienced at this point.

Back