Leviton acquires HAI

Yeah it's a coin toss on what I'd bet on - either the money to let HAI take over the automation world, or the big corporate restrictions that ultimately kill the product line to the point where all that's left is the utility partnerships.

Just read on facebook that HAI isn't going to limit anything. I am betting there is going to be enough money and support to crush the other weenies out there.

Yeah it's a coin toss on what I'd bet on - either the money to let HAI take over the automation world, or the big corporate restrictions that ultimately kill the product line to the point where all that's left is the utility partnerships.

Damn.

I've kind of been waiting for something like this. I've always felt HA will be huge in the not too distant future. I've been waiting for someone like Microsoft (or whomever with big money) to jump into this space and take it to the next level. However having worked for many technology start-ups over the last 20 years my experiences have been closer to your kill-off scenario. Most companies buy a little guy like HAI with the best intentions and after a couple years just destroy it. They end up scoping up the patents and other IP and dump the rest. I hope history does not repeat itself.

I'm optimistic about the deal.

I do recall my old company would buy its vendors / competition all time; then take what they wanted from it; and have it be assimilated into the fold of the company. Heck; they outsourced email for about 120K folks then purchased the outsourcing company for a song and a dance. Banks used to do a lot of that in the 90's and 2000's. The advertising utilized would tell the story.

Damn.

Most companies buy a little guy like HAI with the best intentions and after a couple years just destroy it. They end up scoping up the patents and other IP and dump the rest. I hope history does not repeat itself.

Just what GE did with a whole lot of the players in the security industry, manufacturers across every product line, burg, fire, CCTV, access....use their engineering and basically orphan the product lines unless you need to compete with another product.

They're going to be involved in a huge market plan for a bunch of their product line, for sure.

well that is really going to suck, since i just bought an HAI system and if leviton destroys the brand, so then my brand new system will be obsolete so quickly.

Why is there so much FUD regarding this? Other than the overlap with UPB & ZWave devices, I see this as a very complementary deal. Even with the overlap on switches, I don't see that as an issue.

Just what GE did with a whole lot of the players in the security industry, manufacturers across every product line, burg, fire, CCTV, access....use their engineering and basically orphan the product lines unless you need to compete with another product.

They're going to be involved in a huge market plan for a bunch of their product line, for sure.

Don't forget Tyco too....

Don't forget Tyco too....

Ick. Buy the company, push the products with very light engineering behind them, then "patch" the results in firmware. AD is on my list of "never again" hardware and software, their products seem to have constant issues, let alone tech support providing blatently incorrect processes, but we're limited to what is spec'd out. In AD's case, they had a client and server software (as well as NVR's) that was so buggy that they abandoned the whole product line and software, necessatating a entire software and firmware upgrade for cameras, encoders, NVR's, servers, clients, and lo and behold, the new software is far more bloated, so the client PC's that they spec'd out and their engineers (onsite during ofupgrades) stated were fine, no longer worked or constantly crashed. They had to eat the cost to replace 2400 cameras and the equivalent number of NVR's (32 channels each) and related data center storage to allow 15IPS@ 2CIF for a retention minimum of 2 years....because they could never get it to work, with their engineers onsite at least once a week.

SWH, specifically C*Cure 9000, isn't perfect, but it's far better than 800 and the related issues. Hardware is sometimes hit or miss (we've had plenty of bad ACM's or funky things wrong with them). Flexible, yes, but I hate building 10001 events just to get a door prop or force where others like Amag, DSX and CK just have check boxes (and they work).

DSC...oh boy, where to start with them. Build quality on panels out of the box, we had 3 skids worth that all had some sort of issue. Before their new OEM wireless manufacturer, their RF had huge issues...like not working at all unless you didn't mount it. We also had a entire connex's worth of smokes with multiple date codes go back because of not being calibrated at the factory (huge tech note and recall after we discovered that one). Can't count how many DOA's we got with all of their hardware across the board, from reversing relays to PIR's and GBD's that could not physically be tripped.

I'm not huge to bash a manufacturer's product, but honestly, Tyco across their divisions are pretty shabby. GE at least seemed to maintain the build quality, even though they really haven't engineered a new product or product line from the ground up since they bought all these divisions. I would not recommend any GE video product however.

I agree with Del regarding Tyco.

I did an evaluation for a national security contract about 3-4 years ago and part of the eval was Tyco.

Back