Why do most WiFi thermostats require you to register online?

BlueRoom

I was reading the user manuals for both the Honeywell & Filtrete 3M-50 WiFi thermostats and both require you to use their online resources to enable the thermostat.

Worse yet the 3M-50 run from their online server.

Why?

I was grumbling about the same over on the Homeseer website. Honeywell's new WiFi thermostat doesn't have an open API and is ONLY controllable through their website though they don't charge for this "feature". Venstar has released a new colour WiFi enabled touchscreen sub-$200 version as well (HERE) but they too use a closed API and require all updates to go through their website; also free.

I just don't understand why, if a company doesn't charge for the feature, why they can't enable a simple HTTP, XML, JSON, or other simple protocol to enable local control of the device. Would it really be that hard? They don't have to support it, just enable it and put SIMPLE documentation for it.

The 3M-50 is a Radio Thermostat in a filtrete box and does have an open API that is posted and freely available. Filtrete goes the extra step and tries to make it simple for standard end user with a web front end available through their web site. THIS is what I like to see. Two options: one for the standard DIY and one of the hacker/automation DIYer...

Radio Thermostat makes a WiFi thermostat that can be controlled directly by many HA systems without requiring any registration or using any proprietary web portal. OSA has a plugin to support it and I am sure many other systems do as well.

I would never buy a thermostat that requires connection to a 3rd party for features. What happens in a year or two when they decide that product line isn't performing and they'll shut it down? No thanks!

Well I picked up a Filtrete 3M50 (Radio Thermostat) because its API is available.
Great thermostat and I have no problem with their web based setup, plus I have to option to go it alone if need be.

This comes down to end users and their IT knowledge. If your thermostat just pushes changes to a central server nothing has to be configured on the end user side besides the wireless name and password. You have them register to your portal, enter the thermostat serial, and it just works. With the opposite when you connect to the thermostat ports need to be opened in the router. The private IP of the thermostat needs to be static or have a static DHCP lease. The also will likely have a dynamic public IP so dynamic DNS needs to be configured and updated. This is too much for the typical end user to configure. Sure UPnP would help to auto configure the router, but the dynamic public IP will still be an issue.

How does the Filtrete work with regard to switching between cooling and heating, i.e., when it is in Auto mode? My current Lennox thermostat let's me specify a temperature range, e.g., 70F to 78F. If the temp goes below 70F, the heater comes on and brings the temp up to 71F or thereabouts. If the temp goes above 78F, the A/C comes on and drops the temp to about 77F. Does the Filtrete allow that wide of an operating range?

Thanks,
Ira

BlueRoom said:
Well I picked up a Filtrete 3M50 (Radio Thermostat) because its API is available.
Great thermostat and I have no problem with their web based setup, plus I have to option to go it alone if need be.
Please keep us informed how that works out for you, especially your integration into HomeSeer. :)

I have started a list of smart thermostats, anyone can add/edit thermostats.  If you don't want to spend them time on them, feel free to PM me the make/model# and I will add it to my list of things to do.

pittom said:
Ira,
yes it does all that,i am happy with it.  With that said i will not buy another one,can build my own lot cheeper using a http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/index.html

Have you actually done it?

I am helping a friend turn a cai board into a mutlizoned thermostat for his ski condo.  We are still leaving one zone on an old fashioned thermostat just in case.  Don't want the place to freeze!  I suppose after it has been up and working without error for a while, we may go all in.

Almost 2 years on, and I'm wondering if anyone has come accross any other thermostats that do NOT require a cloud connection?

<rant on>
I currently have a CT30, but it's 1/2 brain dead thermostat...  You get what you pay for.  The entire API is in F, so I need to do F to C conversions everywhere in my HA setup.  On thermostat itself, the rounding F to C conversion is flakey.   Depending on what the thermostat is doing, fan, heating, cooling, etc it may not let you set it to 20C.   (It will skip from 20.5 to 19.5).  The API doesn't let you set aux/stage 2 heat mode, you can't set the differential temp when to engage aux.  Their is no energy recovery mode for heat pumps.
</rant off>

I 've looked at the Honeywell, Nest, Ecobee...  They are all cloud based.   Unfortunately my heating/cooling data is not for sale or analysis, so I don't want a cloud service.  Venstar has a local API, but it is very limitted and still doesn't have some the features in my rant.

Any other options?

I'm actually pondering if it's worth going back to a wired rs232/485 tstat!

Tim

Back