Looking for Romex cable supports

Mike P

Hi, Im looking for a two hole screw strap that is listed for use with NM cable. I found one type that I thought would work(Arlington NM310), But I don't see an NM listing. Does anybody have know of a strap like this that would work? Im in the process of rewiring a 100+ year old house and I want the wiring in the basement to look NICE. Most of the wiring is complete and inspected, basement is next, along with the upgrade of the old panel and installation of the new sub panel. Im attaching all of the cabling below the joists, So I am installing blocking between to attach the cabling to in order to meet code. I have done quite a bit of searching and cant seem to find anything. Any help in my search would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

They would work, But the look of the Arlington plastic straps for MC looks nicer and neater to me. Im looking for nice clean look like that.

Thanks,

Mike

Unless you are going to display it behind illuminated plexiglass, what"s wrong with the traditional Romex staple in varying types?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=romex%20staple&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCHALL

Then there's also this...

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=BPSTCKR-15&div=4&l1=cable_staples

Red GB cable stacker from HD

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Multi-Cable-Staples-20-Pack-MCS-20W/100346576/

I used them with screws, for retrofit. Will need a lot more blocking, than the staple.

That linked GB staple looks nice.

A T-75 and T-59 are listed for use with certain sizes of NM, but some AHJ's won't accept them, same as some won't allow staples to have the plastic insulators while others won't allow the bare metal ones.

The best way, honestly, if you want it to look nice is to not worry about the fastening methods per se, and spend the time laying out the job properly, straightening the cable and snapping a few chalk lines/plumb lines.

This job we did was done using normal NM and staples, granted there's a lot of centralized loads:

HED5l.jpg

NM4.jpg

NM1.jpg

NM5.jpg

HED9.jpg

DEL,

AWESOME installation! If I lived in your area I'd be calling you. I want to be doing that kind of work. Most customers don't want to hear it when the hear the price.

What system is that, (If you don't mind me asking)

Oh...Sorry for the hijak but I couldn't help it.

Thanks for the help, Staples would be no problem except I have used and abused my hands so much I now have pretty bad artritis. Its going to be a lot of staples, I don't think I can keep it neat with that much hammering. My Hilti is much more hand friendly for driving screws. DEL, Was your pictured install done with all staples? BTW the install you pictured looks great....

As I've said before elsewhere, if you plan the install properly from the beginning, it's really not that hard to lay out a job like this. There's a few items that I don't really like how they ended up, but still no reason to not keep the install looking like a professional put it in, not knocking the other romex wranglers out there, but you put spaghetti in the walls, it's what follows you around the house. Granted, this was a very large house and install in NJ that was being worked on for some time.

The yellow cable is all NM. Centralized Lutron Homeworks install with a pretty large Crestron head end. Generator and ATS. All stapled with normal NM staples (no insulator).

The last picture is some of the video/telco/network cabling running to a rack.

If you're going to put in decent hardware, the install is only going to be as good as that and your cabling. You take part of the issue out of the equation, you're not going to have issues with service, reliability, and warranty issues also decrease. Yes, it took longer to put in. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the help, Staples would be no problem except I have used and abused my hands so much I now have pretty bad artritis. Its going to be a lot of staples, I don't think I can keep it neat with that much hammering. My Hilti is much more hand friendly for driving screws. DEL, Was your pictured install done with all staples? BTW the install you pictured looks great....

Hold the staple with a pair of duck bill or standard needle nose pliers until it's started. There are also romex staple guns available if you have a lot to do in the install. That might be a good investment. (The "T" numbers DEL listed above)

If you're going to put in decent hardware, the install is only going to be as good as that and your cabling. You take part of the issue out of the equation, you're not going to have issues with service, reliability, and warranty issues also decrease. Yes, it took longer to put in. You get what you pay for.
I agree - as an installer, I will gladly spend extra time up front making my installs perfect just so I don't have to worry about callbacks. That's not true of many lower level employees you may encounter who are measured by time to complete a job and who just want to move on... but in anything I touch, it's my reputation and I want it perfect... I often throw in upgrades or extra work that wasn't budgeted for just to make an install that much better. It may affect profits on one job, but client retention goes a long way.

I agree - as an installer, I will gladly spend extra time up front making my installs perfect just so I don't have to worry about callbacks. That's not true of many lower level employees you may encounter who are measured by time to complete a job and who just want to move on... but in anything I touch, it's my reputation and I want it perfect... I often throw in upgrades or extra work that wasn't budgeted for just to make an install that much better. It may affect profits on one job, but client retention goes a long way.

An employee that works for a company that has accountability doesn't make a lower level employee, it makes a lower level company.

As I'm sure you all know, not every job can be a perfect one in our meticulous eyes. It good to try though.

An employee that works for a company with "accountability" doesn't make a lower level employee, it makes a lower level company. As you know, I'm sure, there's a lot more to client retention that what your wiring looks like or what you screw to a wall.

Red GB cable stacker from HD

http://m.homedepot.c...-20W/100346576/

I used them with screws, for retrofit. Will need a lot more blocking, than the staple.

That linked GB staple looks nice.

I have used those and was originally looking for that link and couldn't find them. They work well.

Back