Thermostat with VeraLite

BraveSirRobbin

I have the Schlage thermostat linked to my Vera controller (currently disconnected for other reasons), and it works fine.  The Schlage is just a rebranded Trane unit, so I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work.

I've been running the Trane for a couple months now with a Vera 2 and I like it. Communication has been flawless and come cooling season I plan on taking advantage of the deltas with my single stage unit. Basically, setting the AC 1 degree lower than I normally would, but allow the temp to fall 2 degrees before kicking on. I want to see about reducing my cycles and pulling out more humidity.

Thanks for the comments.  So far it seems nothing runs like a Trane with the Vera2/VeraLite then! :D

Curious to hear some more details about your cooling strategy when you get a chance video321.

Well, there are a LOT of Z-Wave enabled thermostats, I am asking specifically for ones known to work well with the VeraLite unit! ;)  I would rather pay a bit more knowing it registers with the VeraLite and that the control via that unit is workable as well.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Well, there are a LOT of Z-Wave enabled thermostats, I am asking specifically for ones known to work well with the VeraLite unit! ;)  I would rather pay a bit more knowing it registers with the VeraLite and that the control via that unit is workable as well.

Sorry, I did not realize there were known issues with the CT30 and VeraLite. Looks like I need to do some research on the micasaverde forums before I make my final decision...

TaterTot said:
I know you guys have been talking about the Trane thermostat, but what about the Radio Thermostats (specifically the CT30)?

http://www.radiothermostat.com/control.html

The reason I ask is because they look a lot better than the Trane thermostat and I found them on eBay for like $65 (with the Z-Wave module)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Thermostat-CT30-Z-WAVE-Thermostat-/321062008824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac0c977f8
There were a few things, but I don't remember off-hand. I think one of the issues was no local schedule. I know...we're automating! Still nice to have to fall back on if need be. Personal difference, I think the Trane looks better :) Also, the price you can get the Trane for is only around $30 more.

Right, thus the reason for this posting.  I wanted proven assurance from our members that a thermostat works well with the VeraLite unit.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Curious to hear some more details about your cooling strategy when you get a chance video321.
Not so much of a strategy yet... more theory!
Going from memory, my condensing unit will run for ~7-10 mins. on a typical summer day. Considering most units don't reach their peak efficiency until that point and the longer the unit runs the more humidity it will draw, I decided I'll try something. Using 72 as the normal setpoint, I'll instead set it to 71. However, using the deltas I'll set the thermostat to not turn on until the temp is 73. So, the thermostat will still turn on at the same point and the temp will never fall past our normal comfort point. Now, though, the unit will run longer, drawing out more humidity and at a more efficient cycle, but reduce the number of cycles.

I'll let you know more in the summer!

Nest works fine with it.  There's a plugin that talks to the Nest cloud service and pulls stats and allows you to change settings.  Because Nest has no official API, it could break at any time.  But it's been working fine since I installed it a couple of months ago.

The Nest's auto-away sensor is generally slow to respond, so when I arm the alarm, vera explicitly sets the Nest to away mode, and sets it back when I open the garage door or disarm the alarm.

Even if my Nest didn't talk to Vera, there's no way in hell I'd give it up.  Best thermostat ever.

I have a v1. But from what I can tell, it doesn't matter. You're talking to the cloud service and not the thermostat directly.

Back