Muting keypad beeps - possible?

drvnbysound

I know that I can turn off voice announcements and have setup a rule to do so between 11pm and 8am. That said, obviously when the keypad is used to arm/disarm during those times they keypad still beeps via the built-in piezo. I wanted to find out if it is also possible to turn this off... or not?

Under keypad settings in the top right there is a box of miscellaneous options.  You can turn the beep off or alter its volume.  I don't believe there is a way to put it on a schedule, though.

Thanks! I will need to look into this a bit more. I really wish that it could be controlled, but I'm interested to see how I like it without the beeping, and voice only (controlled via rules).

drvnbysound said:
I know that I can turn off voice announcements and have setup a rule to do so between 11pm and 8am. That said, obviously when the keypad is used to arm/disarm during those times they keypad still beeps via the built-in piezo. I wanted to find out if it is also possible to turn this off... or not?

I have 'hacked" other brands of keypads for this.  I am pretty sure the ELK keypads are no different.  What I am suggesting will void the warranty though.

You can use the keypad output to trip a relay (an ELK Sensitive relay would work well but any 12 V low current relay should work) via a rule based on time etc.  That relay would be in series with the speaker or piezo sounder in the keypad which requires that you open a land in series with the sounder. 

Its a hack but I have done it with other brands of keypads. 

I lowered the volume of my keypads a little by opening them up and putting a bandaid or something similar over the opening of the piezo.  The lowest volume still wasn't low enough but I didn't want to totally silence them.

If I absolutely don't want to hear them, I use eKeypad on my phone.  Takes a second to launch but there won't be a single sound if my "quiet mode" is on.

Thanks for the input guys.

I turned it off this morning and not sure I like it without the 'tactile' feedback it provides when entering a user code. I did have it on a volume setting of 1. I've only tried the #1 beep tone as well, so that may be my next thing to try as well... to see if I care for any of the other tones any better. I do like the idea of just putting some tape over the piezo to reduce the volume further. Some gaffers tape from my photography gear bag would probably work great for this.

I don't think I want to get into doing a full hardware modification on it just yet, but thanks for that idea as well.

I see in the install instructions that the Keypad Arming Station has a 'Built-in Piezo Mini Sounder'.  Can that be muted, or level adjusted, from rules or the KP?

Does the dab of hot glue or silicone completely silence the piezo?  The piezo moves to create sound - does the silicone prevent the motion, or block the tone?

Silicone, a little of both, and would be deemed IMHO, permanent. I can't remember if it can be adjusted or muted...probably mimics the KP settings in RP, but I doubt the tone could be adjusted (I seem to remember a section in the KP setup itself that would allow pitch settings).

Electrical tape works wonders, I swear, from the days when I had 5-10 FACP's on my desk with workstations and all their related piezo troubles....required by code.

take a tooth pick , some TP, and some tape.  Roll the TP into a tiny string and with the tooth pick gently fill up the piezzo, put some tape over it and it will be considerably quieter.  You can use some tweeters to reactivate it.

Back