Wi-Fi LED lights.

Tuicemen

Several manufactures have produced Wi-Fi lights which have been around for some time now.
I figured these would be great for my off grid setup and soon had something setup.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is using these and their opinions on them?

Right now the big issue is that an automated wifi light is great until the mechanical switch is turned off - then it's useless; also they seem to be a novelty so far - I haven't seen any integration protocols to tie them to ther systems like you can with the established protocols like X10, Insteon, Z-Wave and UPB.

I'm waiting for my LIFX bulbs to ship, which are WiFi enabled RGB LED bulbs.  Looking very promising for sure!

Some manufactures like Philips(hue) have released an API or SDK or plan to soon, probably because users were using Wireshark to capture commands anyways.
If the LIFX bulbs don't have an API or SDK it is good to know you can get the commands to intergrade into your system.
I used the manufactures (Easybulb) phone app to send the commands which I was able to capture and program into my PC HA software.

Tuicemen said:
Some manufactures like Philips(hue) have released an API or SDK or plan to soon, probably because users were using Wireshark to capture commands anyways.
If the LIFX bulbs don't have an API or SDK it is good to know you can get the commands to intergrade into your system.
I used the manufactures (Easybulb) phone app to send the commands which I was able to capture and program into my PC HA software.
The website says LIFX has a HackerSDK.  Sounds even better than a "typical" api/sdk... :)

Back