ElkM1 lost databases, have backups but no password, what now.

kayemsi

I have an Elk M1, which I use along with CQC in my home automation system.  Recently the Elk driver for CQC went offline and I tried to connect with ElkRP but was told required files were missing and got a dialog to locate ops.mdb and control.mdb.  These files were not in the C:\Program Files\ElkRP folder, nor was the elkaccnt.mdb? file.  I have no idea what happened to them.  I found several backup copies on my PC and tried to copy the latest versions of ops.mdb and controls.mdb to the ElkRP folder.  But it wants a database password I don't remember as I have not had to use it in years.  Our Elk installer has been out of business for years as well.  I know there is also a access  code but I don't remember that either.  I am not sure what options I have to get my system connected again.  The CQC interface is what I use to access the system and open the gate remotely. 

The alarm itself works and I can arm and disarm the system as well as open the gate using the task mapped to the elk keypad.  But cannot connect via ethernet (CQC or ElkRP).

Any suggestions?

There's a password for opening the database in access - and I know that password has come up before - but if you open the DB via ElkRP does it still require the password?

Ultimately the most important detail is to know the ElkRP access code.  If you can't figure out the database issue, you can always just create a new one and do a Receive All into this new blank database - but if you've lost the RP Access Code, the only way to recover that is to send your M1 to Elk for a reset.

Originally, on trying to start, Elk RP told me the ops.mdb and controls.mdb files were missing and gave me a dialog box to locate them, with the default location being C:\Program Files\ElkRP.  I found the backup files and moved them to that folder and tried to restart ELK RP.  ElkRP seems to recognize that I copied the files over (not sure how) and says for security purposes it won't open without asking for a database password.  So even if I had the access code, I can't get ElkRP to get to the place to put it in without a database password. 

I played around with some access tools and password crackers and I had no joy, but this is what I found:

• The MS DBs do not have passwords on them according to two different password crackers
  • I can't open the Ops and Accounts DB's in a MS Viewer tool due to "lack of permissions"
  • I could not find any passwords in RP2 that I have entered necessary to open a DB.
There is a setup dialog where you enter the paths for the OPS, Controls, and Account DB.  You may want to populate that and see what happens.  The Ops DB appears to be the Operators DB which contains the permissions for users, one dialog lists these as obvious things like User=Installer/Pass=Installer, User=Supervisor/Pass=Supervisor so you could try those or Admin/Admin, Administrator/Administrator, and the Controls DB which is open and I can view just has version info in it.  The Accounts DB is obviously the most important one.

I have had issues in the past, with upgrading ElkRP (especially to ElkRP2) and still get some DB errors opening my DB.  So I have been through similar scares.  So it may be a version issue too, make sure you are using the same version of ElkRP you made the DB in.  If all else fails, maybe you can contact elk and find a resolution without having to send your control in.  Good luck man, I hope you can find a way to fix it.

For everyone else reading this... If you haven't saved your installer code in a safe and memorable place, do it right now!  

There's a few layers of security involved here.

At the panel:

There's a RP password, that without such, you're never going to be able to connect to the panel.

There's lockout functions that may or may not have been enabled by you. You may or may not be able to access the panel's program depending on the levels set (installer code, RP code, lockout features....etc.)

In RP the users are only part of the equation and really not a huge deal because even if you blow out one user the rest remain active or you can reinstall and enable that user. The big deal is the database password, so unless you have that, even if you copy the .MDB files you will not be able to open them. You NEED to know that if you're intending on opening up the RP database as it exists, otherwise you only need to know the RP PW in the panel, the rest can be obtained by downloading the panel into a fresh install of RP.

If you copy the DB from a computer's location by navigating or exporting you MUST have the password associated with that DB. It keeps the installers from taking a copy of a company's DB and using it for their own purposes (or sniping accounts).

I've had to sync and drag copies of many DB's and MDB files across many computers as systems are installed, so I've gotten pretty adept at doing it....exporting/importing and syncing them.

Are you saying if I don't remember the database password, I can install ElkRp on another PC (for a fresh copy) and connect to the panel via Ethernet with the RP Code and create a new database.  Then somehow download the panel info into the new database.  Since this is a home install, do I need to create a database password for the new database?

kayemsi said:
Are you saying if I don't remember the database password, I can install ElkRp on another PC (for a fresh copy) and connect to the panel via Ethernet with the RP Code and create a new database.  Then somehow download the panel info into the new database.  Since this is a home install, do I need to create a database password for the new database?
That should work and no you don't need to set a password on the database. Personally, I use an encrypted container to store sensitive information in.

It does look like they've changed the security method on the DB over the last major revision - and how they deal with workgroup security...

Ultimately as long as you know the RP Access Password for the panel, you can always do a fresh install and connect and just do a Receive All to download everything.

Setting a database password (setup/options/database_security) only makes sense if you think somebody is going to physically copy your database, such as a disgruntled security company employee.   Not particularly useful for a single install.

FYI: The RP access codes are stored in the ElkAccts2.mdb, Accounts table, fields RPAccCode1, 2, 3.  The 3 fields probably relate to the password rotation scheme described somewhere.  The fields are scrambled/encrypted.  Its a two-way cypher, because the plain text code is displayed on the accounts screen.

The only reason I even got into the database was to delete those useless (to me) template accounts.

Back