New deployment for Catalyst 3560 vs 3750x Series

B

Bejiening

Hi, I'm looking for advice about prefered access switch for new deployment.I want to choose between cisco catalyst 3560 and 3750x.Can someone give me an advice to make a decision ?

My friend suggest me try to use Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-L or Cisco WS-C3750X-24T-L . Had someone who have used those two switches? Is it worth to have?

Hoping this isn't a SPAM post in the making, I'll bite... the Cisco catalyst switches are very good - I use a lot of them - but they're also not for the faint of heart since all the real config is done via command line.  As far as which model to go with, you need to understand that the letter designations after the number can creat all sorts of variations such as with or without power, what sort of modules they support, if they're gigabit or fast ethernet, etc.

One of the best current Cisco docs I've come across lately to help demystify which model to choose is attached for reference.  View attachment cisco_switching_family.pdf

If this is for a residential application, it's worth noting that these are expensive, and they're also noisy.  For much simpler residential environments, the Netgear GS108TP/GS110/etc switches are some of my favorites.

Work2Play said:
Hoping this isn't a SPAM post in the making, I'll bite... the Cisco catalyst switches are very good - I use a lot of them - but they're also not for the faint of heart since all the real config is done via command line.  As far as which model to go with, you need to understand that the letter designations after the number can creat all sorts of variations such as with or without power, what sort of modules they support, if they're gigabit or fast ethernet, etc.

One of the best current Cisco docs I've come across lately to help demystify which model to choose is attached for reference. 
attachicon.gif
cisco_switching_family.pdf

If this is for a residential application, it's worth noting that these are expensive, and they're also noisy.  For much simpler residential environments, the Netgear GS108TP/GS110/etc switches are some of my favorites.
Do the Netgears GS108/110 have any CLI configuration capabilities? I've always used Cisco gear and am accustom to the CLI for not only configuration, but configuration management (automatically logging changes).

No - I sure wish they did.  That and VTP - I hate having to manage/duplicate VLANs across multiple switches.  If you come from a cisco world it takes a minute (or at least it did me) to get used to how it tags ports and traffic - but I've used them in complex corporate environments where I just needed a conference room switch or to add a few ports to a temporary space and still support vlans for voice, and they did work well.  Use 'em at home too where I have an enterprise router which can do site to site VPN so I can have secure data, VOIP, and the rest of the house on separate vlan's and trunk over a single wire to my home office and break it back out by port on another switch.  And I have one in another location where the cisco router is all set up for vlan's but we never switched to a cisco switch or even a managed switch, so it goes from the cisco router to the netgear to get broken out to vlans, then to the dumb switches... I've probably bought at least a hundred of them in the last couple years and never had a single issue or failure of any sort.

Also do love the logging of configuration changes on Cisco - idle curiosity - what do you use? I have Kiwi CatTools running but they went from free to obscenely expensive (for small shops)...  I've also heard Rancid is pretty good but haven't tried it yet.

Here historically have utilized Cisco everything for corporate enterprise deployments.   Such that if that is what you are writing about then I would recommend utilizing Cisco. They are basically the defacto standard that every major corporation with a domestic / international footprint wants to get to. 

Historically I was able to test new Cisco products, write about them and create implementation standards utilizing Cisco products. (so I am biased a bit).  I was also in a position to manage purchase and service contracts relating to Cisco products giving me a better view of Cisco in general.

That said for my home I have taken a different path.  Over the years I have been migrating over to Gb and recently purchased a couple of TP-Link managed (GUI only) switches. 

I was used to utilizing only CLI (for management) and I am impressed so far with the simple managed GUI installed on the TL-SG1024DE.  I purchased this device because of its small footprint and features.  I have not had any issues to date with it.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=2878&model=TL-SG1024DE

I am also utilizing the TP-Link POE injectors for some tabletop touchscreens.  That and also utilizing Tycon POE injectors for same said endeavor.

Relating to my residential POE stuff today utilizing a Tycon TP-MS324 managed POE injector and a few of the smaller Tycon mid stream POE injectors and a few "no name" generic POE switches.

One model you listed is PoE and the other is not. Do you need the PoE capability?

I use Cisco routers and firewalls, but tend to go with HP for switches. HP switches are cost effective, have a lifetime warranty, and the firmware is free to download. I would recommend the HP 2920 or 3500 series depending on the features you need. These would be in the same range as the Cisco 3560. If you just need a layer 2 PoE switch the HP 2520 model works great.

Work2Play said:
Also do love the logging of configuration changes on Cisco - idle curiosity - what do you use? I have Kiwi CatTools running but they went from free to obscenely expensive (for small shops)...  I've also heard Rancid is pretty good but haven't tried it yet.
I'm not in a netadmin role right now, but use to have rancid set up to monitor close to 20 catalyst switches. It was a pretty quick learning curve, but I did start small and then gradually expanded to the entire environment. I tend to favor the FOSS solutions where it is reasonable.

Back