URL for NightOwl DVR?

Does anyone have an idea what the url could be for a NightOwl WMC-85-8624N DVR to access the camera feeds? I've been unable to find the correct address to connect to iSpy Security Software. I'd like to be able to intergrate this into a home automation system. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. 

I've never used a NightOwl model, but based on the other DVRs that I have used, it's generally an IP address with a port number associated. What that IP address is, depends. It could be set to DHCP, which would be given an address by your network (router). Generally, best practice for access is to set the address manually, so you always know what it is, and can setup things such as port forwarding.

Having said that, I believe you will need to connect it to a TV or monitor to access and change these settings directly.

The only other way, is if you have (or find the manual) and it's set to a 192.168.x.x address by default. Which you could then set your computer on an address on that scheme, access the DVR, and change it (if the capability is enabled via remote access).

Well, the IP I have. And I'm using the default ports for Web (3049), Media (9000) and Mobile (2050). There is no option within the internal DVR manager to enable/disable remote access. However, I can connect to it using NightOwl NetViewer to view feeds remotely.

If I'm unable to get this going I'm thinking about replacing this DVR with something more "open." Got any suggestions if I plan on tying my cameras into home automation? I kind of don't want to throw in the towel just yet, but do want to explore my options.

I've seen where certain DVRs will only work with specific versions of IE as well (and sometimes no other browsers)...

Are you getting any page at all?

Generally, when I've seen an incompatible browser (or version) it ends up displaying a blank page, but not returning any sort of error (e.g. no 404, Page not found errors).

Generally getting webpage cannot be displayed, web page not available or no data received errors. I can't get anything to return just a blank page.

If you're getting 'Webpage cannot be displayed' type errors, I'd say that problem isn't browser/version/plugin related [yet]. That seems to indicate [to me] that you aren't addressing the page correctly; or it's not hosting one correctly.

Can you ping the DVR from your machine?

Back