WC32 serial port communication with PC

CAI_Support

WC32 has two serial ports.  Current firmware uses both serial port to communicate with remote computers.  The WC32 only configure the RS232 ports speed, it does not do any local processing of the RS232 data.  In the future firmware, we do plan to take one RS232 port for local control.

Currently, user wants to use the RS232 port, will need to install a Null-modem emulator software (com0com) on your PC.  This emulator software is an open source software from SourceForge.net . Since we can not post URL in this forum, please do a Yahoo search on the Yahoo site for it.

Then you will need to contact us to install a software called WCBRIDGE.exe, a command line software, to bridge the com0com to your local COM1 to COM4.  Then your terminal software will be able to communicate on the devices connected on the WC32 RS232 port, over local or remote network.

Suppose com0com installed and connected to WC32 as CNCA0 and CNCB0, for both RS232 ports, running this command below will setup the first available com port on your PC:

C:\temp\wcbridge.exe uart CNCB0 192.168.1.15 &

TcpSocket connection to 192.168.1.15:4500

where the 192.168.1.15 is your IP address on WC32 board. 4500 is the port RS232 configuration set on WC32.

Efried said:
Is it possible to exploit the serial interface  allowing WiFi connectivity?

Probably, but why not just use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge which can be found for the same price or less?

I second az1324's comment, since the controller (both old one and W32) have Ethernet just connect a WiFi bridge. That way you get full speed instead of a few tens of
kilobits per second.

I'm planning on using that scheme on my next project to open/close a clear story window and control an exhaust fan. A $25 WiFi bridge sure beats fishing Cat5e cable through the wall. 

Tschmidt said:
I second az1324's comment, since the controller (both old one and W32) have Ethernet just connect a WiFi bridge. That way you get full speed instead of a few tens of
kilobits per second.

I'm planning on using that scheme on my next project to open/close a clear story window and control an exhaust fan. A $25 WiFi bridge sure beats fishing Cat5e cable through the wall. 

az1324 said:
Probably, but why not just use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge which can be found for the same price or less?

Ok I give up and will have to change my sourcing. Why nobody can understand that integration, size and power demand may be the first priorities with embedded controllers?
Secondly I will no longer fizzle around using PLC, instead I will wait for python on embedded controllers, for HVAC I don't need RTOS.

We use Microchip processors in our board. Microchip TCP stack does not allow more than one Ethernet interface. That means once we implemented the wired network, we will not be able to do another network interface.  We have suggested using TP-LINK wifi bridge for people need wifi. 

To have reliable operation, CPU control board should be sealed in metal project box. So that it will not receive interference from environment. However, wifi must be exposed to the outside the metal project box.  In addition, wifi signal could also cause CPU malfunction, if the transmitted power getting too close to the CPU board.

In addition, the cost of wifi module, and cost for certification due to integrate with radio active module, all add up to the cost of the product. After review a few different options, we decided not incorporate WIFI with our WebControl board.   By the way, those selling cpu board with wifi modules, most of them don't meet FCC requirement,  that is why many of them just selling as board and let user to develop software.  Then it becomes the liability of the user who load software to obtain FCC certification.

Well some of them are modular certified so they can be dropped into other products.  Most of the other sub GHz RF modules are not.

But still if a user wanted to interface a wifi or zigbee module using AT commands and sending binary and string data over the uart it should be possible.  Just need to give access to serial buffers and some read/write functions for strings and arrays through PLC.

From our experience dealing with FCC, if a subpart is certified, FCC could require less, but still have to have integrated whole system -- everything in the project box, to be certified.  Using non-certified RF equipment could result large fine.  In EU, that could result even bigger punishment.  Anyway, it is always safe to separate RF into a not directly incorporated part.

We do plan to implement a AT command on the RS232 port in the future. We are waiting Microchip to finish its Harmoney platform release 1.0.  Then, we can start porting over to that, after that, to expand USB hub support, as well as RS232 local AT command support.  Those can be firmware updated in the field for all WC32 board.

CAI_Support said:
We use Microchip processors in our board. Microchip TCP stack does not allow more than one Ethernet interface. That means once we implemented the wired network, we will not be able to do another network interface.  We have suggested using TP-LINK wifi bridge for people need wifi. 

To have reliable operation, CPU control board should be sealed in metal project box. So that it will not receive interference from environment. However, wifi must be exposed to the outside the metal project box.  In addition, wifi signal could also cause CPU malfunction, if the transmitted power getting too close to the CPU board.

In addition, the cost of wifi module, and cost for certification due to integrate with radio active module, all add up to the cost of the product. After review a few different options, we decided not incorporate WIFI with our WebControl board.   By the way, those selling cpu board with wifi modules, most of them don't meet FCC requirement,  that is why many of them just selling as board and let user to develop software.  Then it becomes the liability of the user who load software to obtain FCC certification.

https://shop.dresden-elektronik.de/radiomodules/2-4-ghz/arm-cortex-m3/minimodul-arm-sam3-23m10-2.html

says FCC in preparation....

We made equipment before sending to Canada government office running by IBM consultant. They would not allow the equipment enter into server room, unless it gets who system certification. Even the components already have FCC ID and we still have to pay certificate agency $1000 a box to put their sticker on it.  Components certification is not count as system being certified.

Its a different type of certification.  Of course you still have to do the cheaper one, but the more expensive one that only applies to wireless can be skipped.

can you explain a little more how these two serial ports might be used with the wc32, once the emulator & bridge are installed and a connection can be made?

Back