KP NAV Beeping stops after wrong code entered

newalarm

I recently installed a KP NAV and noticed that when we enter the house and violate a zone, the keypad starts beeping. If you enter the wrong password, the beeping stops. This is really confusing since when people are distracted, they tend to walk away thinking everything is good. Then all hell breaks loose when the alarm goes off.

Is this typical on KPNAV?

I'm going to move this to the Elk specific subforum just because I believe that one gets more attention from Elk.

I tested this on my NAV and it works the same as you describe. The hint would be that the NAV still displays the Armed message not the green check mark icon with "Ready To Arm" next to it.

Just for S's and G's, I tried pressing a number on the exit countdown. Any time a number is entered on the exit countdown the countdown beeping stops.
This is probably because the NAV provides feedback that it is registering your keypresses with a beep also. Having a beep every second along with a beep on every key press would be confusing when entering a code.

Thanks Work2play.

@Gatchel Thanks for reply. Glad to see I am not the only one. i thought the unit was defective.

I wonder if this is something Elk can fix with update. We have set off alarm several times, and come close many more times. In an ideal world, people would pay attention and I guess I will need to notify users of this. In practice, this is a real issue. when you come in and are in a hurry, or have your hands full, you hit the code and listen for the beeps to stop. You don't always look at the screen.

Maybe at the same time, Elk can fix the beeping that is not at regular interval (minor annoyance) when arming and disarming.

Is there a way of requesting a fix from Elk? they won't talk to me since i am not a professional installer...

newalarm said:
Is there a way of requesting a fix from Elk? they won't talk to me since i am not a professional installer...

Most would believe that there is no fix needed as this is the intended operation so you keypresses can be heard. If you see the countdown has started and the indicator is not green, you haven't entered the correct code.

On other keypads, if you don't hit the right code, the beeping continues (i am pretty sure). Why would they make it different on this keypad?

newalarm said:
On other keypads, if you don't hit the right code, the beeping continues (i am pretty sure). Why would they make it different on this keypad?

I tested my M1KP. When you are exiting the beeping during the countdown stops if you hit a key during the countdown .

When entering and the alarm is armed, there is a constant tone during the countdown (15 sec) and hitting keys momentarily interrupts the constant tone for the duration of the keypress.

I tried the same on my Detached Garage (Area2) with the KP2 that is there. It worked the same as the KP in the house.

So to clarify, on exit, key presses interrupt the 1 second interval beep. The beeping stops.
On entry, key presses interrupt the constant tone for a very short time during the keypress but the constant tone continues until a code is entered that is correct.

My guesses:

1. There is bug and the NAV is intended to operate like a normal KP.

or

2. It is completely different than any other keypad that Elk sells, intentionally.

I also did notice that the NAV does not have the constant tone on entry countdown like the other keypads do. It beeps on countdown, once per second until 10 seconds then twice per second.

(When all keypad(s) countdown(s) get to 10 seconds the beep turns to a double beep, once per second)

Not sure what to make of it. I have never heard this brought up here before.

To go back to your original post, tell people "Don't walk away until it is green". A simple solution for now.

If it's that much of a problem, why not use the "area disarmed" announcement. If it's not heard, it isn't.

Back