Elk M1TWA question

mikefamig

I just installed an m1twa and attached one 32ohm speaker in the house keypad to the first output and one 8 ohm speaker in the garage to the second output of the twa. My question is concerning out1 on the control. Does it still output voice commands in addition to the twa? Does it need a speaker attached to it or a dummy load (resistor)?

Mike.

Top of my head, panel doesn't care if there's anything attached...open terminals = infinate resistance so a dummy load is not needed. Not looking for resistance like out 2.

I tried connecting an 8 ohm speaker to out1 and there is no sound output. The audio output seems to be completely redirected to he m1twa.

Mike.

Would make sense....the amp on the M1 is providing line level audio to the TWA, which is in turn being controlled by the unit via rules and it's own audio amp and trimpots.

I connected a M1TWA tonight and have OUT1 working as well.

I have (4) SP12F speakers; (1) on OUT1, and the other (3) on each zone of the TWA.

Having said that, the first zone of the TWA seems to be outputting at MAX volume regardless of the POT setting. I'll be making a call in the morning to see if I can resolve this issue.

The twa is a pretty simple insttall. I would carefully double check all of the wiring, If it all is correct then I would call it  bad part.

Mike.

Definitely. I'm out of town now, but that's my plan as soon as I get back.

Any idea if it's possible to dedicate a TWA zone for Area 2 announcements?

I'm not sure that  I understand the question but outputs 11, 12 and thirteen are speaker 1,2 and 3 respectively. If you wire a speaker/speakers from the first audio amp to area 2 then you can turn that area on/off with rules.

Mike

All sound that is output from out1 goes to all three TWA output channels all the time. I don't believe that it is possible to change that other than to mute the channels that you do not want to make sound..

mikefamig said:
I'm not sure that  I understand the question but outputs 11, 12 and thirteen are speaker 1,2 and 3 respectively. If you wire a speaker/speakers from the first audio amp to area 2 then you can turn that area on/off with rules.

Mike

There are (4) keypads in the entire installation; (3) of them are within Area 1; (1) of them is in a guest suite that will be configured as Area 2. I have a SP12F at each KP. I'd like to have the speakers at each of the first (3) KPs to speak standard announcements as part of Area 1, but the speaker attached to [TWA] Zone 3 play only voice messages associated with Area 2.

Essentially, speakers within Area 1 speak Area 1 messages, and the speaker within Area 2 speaks Area 2 messages.

mikefamig said:
All sound that is output from out1 goes to all three TWA output channels all the time. I don't believe that it is possible to change that other than to mute the channels that you do not want to make sound..

I'll have to play with this a bit...

I may try to write logic that is just that... if RP offers the flexibility.

Basically, if the announcement pertains to Area 1, I'd mute the Area 2 zone; if the announcement pertains to Area 2, I'd mute the Area 1 zones.

Here's how I have the speakers wired now:
Master BR (Area 1) --------> OUT1
Front Door (Area 1) -------> TWA Zone 1
Garage Entry (Area 1) ---> TWA Zone 2
MIL Suite (Area 2) --------> TWA Zone 3

I just found the following rule: Whenever CHIME ALERT SOUNDS - and an individual area can be selected.

I'll need to test what is defined as a CHIME ALERT, but hoping that is/includes the voice announcements... If so I should be able to write the following:

WHENEVER (Area 1) CHIME ALERT SOUNDS
THEN TURN Output 13 ON

WHENEVER (Area 2) CHIME ALERT SOUNDS
THEN TURN Output 11 ON
THEN TURN Output 12 ON

EDIT: I just realized that this won't allow me to control what's spoken over the MBR speaker (OUT 1). I'll talk to the owners about this tomorrow - if they want all announcements in the MBR, then this may work. If not, I may just wire the MBR speaker (SP12F) to one of the other [2] TWA zones associated with an Area 1 speaker.

I wanted to provide an update to the above...

The owner's did want to hear global announcements (both Areas) in the MBR, so I left the wiring as is with the speaker in the MBR connected to OUT1.

Generally, the rule(s) above work perfectly, except that when I was actually writing them in RP, I realized that as the zones were muted (by turning the various outputs ON) that I also needed a way to un-mute the zones. Rather than leave the outputs on for an amount of time and possibly conflict with various announcements (who knows when they'll happen, so time based didn't seem to be a good option) - I ended up writing them as follows:

WHENEVER (Area 1) CHIME ALERT SOUNDS
THEN TURN Output 11 OFF
THEN TURN Output 12 OFF
THEN TURN Output 13 ON

WHENEVER (Area 2) CHIME ALERT SOUNDS
THEN TURN Output 11 ON
THEN TURN Output 12 ON
THEN TURN Output 13 OFF

Back