Android app to turn off screen

Monk

I have a tablet that I like using as an alarm clock. I also want the wifi to remain active. Is there an app that will only turn off the screen and not put the tablet to sleep? The alarm clock app has the screen brightness way down but its still kind of bright at night. I have looked on the Google app store and tried a handful of apps that all seem to put the thing to sleep.
Any comments appreciated.

Tasker with the Secure Settings addon (try just tasker first, if that doesn't work you may need secure settings).

Most android devices have a specific way to set when a device goes to sleep.  Usually it's never go to sleep when charging (as in, plugged into power).  The latest Nexus 7 I've got has a new mode called 'Daydream' and that has a setting for being docked, charging or either.  I'm assuming this means it'll use the screen timeout value for when it's not connected to power or docked (which are one and the same as I'm using a wireless charging dock) but will go to sleep otherwise.  

Which tablet are you using, and what rev Android is it running?

I have an app, I think it's called sleepmode, from the developer of CarHome Ultra that puts the screen to sleep but it displays some text very dim while it's in use. I think it says "sleepmode" or "touch to wake" but it's been a while since I used it. the developer incorporated it into the app directly.
If any interest let me know.

Monk said:
I have a tablet that I like using as an alarm clock. I also want the wifi to remain active. Is there an app that will only turn off the screen and not put the tablet to sleep? The alarm clock app has the screen brightness way down but its still kind of bright at night. I have looked on the Google app store and tried a handful of apps that all seem to put the thing to sleep.
Any comments appreciated.

experience pro (the feature is called touchwake) -- it requires a rooted tablet and only works on certain models.  works very well on my nexus 7's.

Hello and thanks for the replies. The tablet is an HP TouchPad running CyanogenMod. I have the "never sleep" option set in the developer options and it does not sleep when plugged in. Turning off the screen with any of the screen apps I have tried will also make it sleep - I THINK - it is sleeping because the physical home button begins a double flash and the wifi takes a whie to come back on. 

Monk said:
Hello and thanks for the replies. The tablet is an HP TouchPad running CyanogenMod. I have the "never sleep" option set in the developer options and it does not sleep when plugged in. Turning off the screen with any of the screen apps I have tried will also make it sleep - I THINK - it is sleeping because the physical home button begins a double flash and the wifi takes a whie to come back on. 

Did you try experience pro with wakelock enabled?

Back