Recommended Enclosures

randyth

I'm curious: What type of enclosures are people using with their WebControllers (links would be great)?  I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
-Randy

randyth said:
I'm curious: What type of enclosures are people using with their WebControllers (links would be great)?  I'm looking for suggestions.

Depends on the application. For a lot of outdoor-exposed or dirty/damp indoor areas, and especially for mobile applications, I use an IP66 rated plastic enclosure.
This one conveniently fits a 3G cellular router inside the lid. I have a 4-channel relay board in this one (photo taken before it was wired in), but that's not my standard configuration.

100_5170.JPG

For some other less-demanding applications, I've used a smaller case. This one looks a bit ordinary - the hot-melt glue is just to hold down the temperature sensor break-out (I connect 8 x separate sensors this way). Also works well, is inexpensive and smallish. The grey wire runs to an RGB led for status and condition display. The resistors are actually up inside the outer jacket (see the bulge at the LED end).

100_5048.JPG

Do you need an enclosure for just the WC or additional electronics? If you just need one for the WC you can get one on eBay.

I've used a variety of enclosures for my projects. For the Greenhouse controller used a non-water tight NEMA box I had laying around. For the Wood Heat controller used a Bud box and for the Window Ventilator a Tivo 2 chassis. Sorry for the poor image quality, hard to squeze them into the 150KB limit.

GreenhouseCntrl.jpg

WindowVentChassis.jpg

/tom

Great stuff.  I'm currently using mine indoors only and figure I need to graduate it from lying on my desk into a case.

I have plans for using one outdoors eventually, so all these suggestions are great.

I love the old Tivo box!

RossW, did you also hot glue the actual WebController to the box in you smaller enclosure?  I don't see any screws in the circuit board's mounting holes?

-Randy

randyth said:
RossW, did you also hot glue the actual WebController to the box in you smaller enclosure?  I don't see any screws in the circuit board's mounting holes?

That would be really really rough! I was only a little less so :(
If you look closely, the board is "pinched" between two screws into the case standoffs, one on either side just behind the front panel.
During the final assembly when the back panel went in, there was another block to stop the board sliding backwards, so it was not "screwed down" so much as "held captive"

Back