Best Z-Wave Controller?

Deane Johnson

I expect this topic has been beaten to death on here, but things keep changing.  I'd like to get some feedback on a recommended controller for my specific situation.  Right now I'm running kind of a patched together system without good control.  I put it together with a Z-Troller, but without HomeSeer, it sort of runs blind.

What it looks like is that I'll end up with is CQC and a VRC0P +3 to interface.  I need to rebuild my Z-Wave network from scratch.  I'd like something I don't have to carry a laptop around to the modules to enroll them.  I'd also like to be able to access the network with it to optimize, repair, etc.  Something that provides more information rather than less is the most desirable approach

Would the Leviton VRCPG-BSG Vizia RF + Basic Handheld Remote Controller Programmer make sense?  It's the one with the lcd screen.  Is there a better one?  What's hot and what's not?  I hate to keep buying things then find out they aren't very good.

I use the Leviton VRUSB-1US as my main controller for programming. I then use the RF Installer Tool to update my secondary controller - VRC0P, which I have connected to my Elk panel.

Leviton added a feature with one of the latest version of the RF Installer Tool software that allows you to install an app on your phone to assist with learning in Zwave devices. Here's a short blurb about the latter:

http://www2.worthingtondistribution.com/blog/?p=1328

Yeh, if you have a laptop to carry around, the Leviton software based master controller is probably the best bet. It'll stay the most up to date over time probably. You'll need the Leviton USB stick for it to communicate through.

Here too utilize a Leviton Z-Wave set up (VRCOP and handheld programmer) with my HAI OPII panel. 

Leviton-Z.jpg

One Z- troller (discontinued) / Aeon stick with Homeseer, Almond + Z-Wave, Hue and Zigbee controller and Vera (off mode right now).

Z-Troller-2011-225.jpg
41ihH%2BMLu9L._SY300_.jpg
almondplus1.jpgVera.jpg

The little Aeon stick / Leviton RF remote is easy to use relating to pairing it with Z-Wave devices.  The Z-Troller is no longer sold by Homeseer.

The Securifi Almond + is the first multiprotocal (Z-Wave, Zigbee and Hue right now) automation controller with a built in firewall, AP, switch and touchscreen in a tiny footprint device.

There is a mention on the HS forum relating to the new generation of Z-Wave stuff (5th gen?) with longer range et al.  I am guessing mostly all of the Z-Wave controllers will be updated and current Z-Wave devices will work with new controllers but new devices will need to be purchased for the updated Z-Wave stuff (well to utilize the new features?).

I don't have good feelings about any of these approaches, but out of desperation, I ordered a VRUSB-1US which I'll use with a laptop.  The reviews on the Levion LCD remote are all pretty bad.  For a company like Leviton who dominates the electrical industry with good product, they sure have a tough time getting their Z-Wave controllers working right.

I had previously ordered one of these VRUSB-1US units in September and sent it back as non-operational.  The reviews indicating others have also sent theirs back as defective doesn't encourage me much.

The Z-troller is pretty excellent, but it's tied to HomeSeer software which I won't be using.

I've never had any issues with my VRUSB-1US; I've used the same one to configure multiple Zwave networks and have owned it for about 3 yrs now.

Yeah; here never use the Leviton remote control  unless I am adding a new device.  That said the remote control is not really user friendly; but doesn't need to be for as little as I use it.  IE: never look at signals et al.   It's been a couple of years and I have not had any issues with it.

All of the aforementioned; Aeon stick / Almond + / Vera work well next to a metal rack in the basement comm room/area. 

The Leviton serial Z-Wave PIM is between conduit (testing well now for some time) and it works well which freaked me out a bit.

I put the Z-Troller on the second floor of the two story home and connected it to a Quatech serial sever for use with Homeseer.

I am still testing my Z-Wave wireless footprint (well years now) installing Z-Wave switches on the periferals of my propery with the corner property berms and 120VAC outlets.  Using a box o devices for testing but not really using any of the 120VAC switches today.  (plugged in only to outlets and no wall switches).   Testing wireless stuff but not using it (well if that makes sense?)

Similiarly testing Zigbee today with wireless and 120VAC stuff. (not using it; just looking to see how it works - footprint, cloud stuff, et al).

So, the VRUSB-1US arrived a few minutes ago.  Nothing else.  No instructions, no nothing.

What's the first step?  I'll be using a laptop for the enrolling, but my desktop PC for the rest of the story.

I assume this will be a new network.  I assume I need to remove the modules from the old network.  Can I remove a couple for testing with the new network before removing all of them?  I hate creating my own problems.

I'm running into the same issue I ran into in September with the same model stick.  "Not connected to a supported RF installer stick."  I get this same message on the PC running 8.1, and the laptop running XP.  I surely must be doing something.  The directions seem simple.  Just plug the thing into a USB port.

When I read reviews on this stick, a number of people commented that there stick was defective.  Either they are sending out defective sticks, or there is something that need to be done in the software.

I just tried it. Actually I had a Leviton stick from a little while back. I just installed the software (with the stick already installed, not sure if that matters) and it came up and immediately recognized the stick and I added some units to it. I did have to remove them from the old network before it would accept them, or that appeared to be the case though I don't know why it would be.

But anyway, it worked fine. Did you already have the stick installed when you installed the software? If not, maybe try remove it and running the installer again. You'd think it wouldn't matter but stranger things have happened.

There is a warning about it not necessarily supporting Win8. But it does claim to support XP. I'm on Win7 here. I guess there could be something about the USB ports on an older laptop that might make it unhappy, I dunno.

Oh, also, if you used it previously, make sure to get rid of any .vrf file that might be around. It might try to open that and use the previously gotten info. By default it's in "My Documents."

Also, if you don't get an admin rights popup when you right it, try right clicking and running it as admin.

Dean, your experience is the way I would have expected it to work.  I've removed the software from the XP laptop and reinstalled, opening the software with the stick installed.  The message is "No hardware found".   I've also tried Window 8.1, opening it with the stick installed and without it installed.  On both 8.1 and XP, the load times are horrendous.  On 8.1, the load hangs on the opening logo/message and doesn't continue until I removed the stick from the computer.  Something seems terribly wrong having two independent systems not work on a similar basis.

I'm thinking that once again, this issue is not going to be resolved with the VRUSB-1US.  I wondering where to go next.  The Vera?  I had one here for a short time but didn't do much with it.  I don't know of any other choices, but would welcome suggestions.

You can always just get the hardware master controller. You don't need a Vera, which would be paying for functionality that you wouldn't use, i.e. it's not just a master controller, and may cause issues since it will think it should be actually managing the devices, when you want the VRCOP to do so.

If it hangs until you remove the stick, then clearly something isn't right. That means it's seeing it, but can't make any progress for some reason.

Back