Starting to put a System together

Bizitz

So, 

After trying out the local cable company's "HA" system and having it ripped out due to the lies and deceit, then listening to the uniformed sales pitch from a national security company, (not sure yet how the forum feels about using company names), I have been looking around at DIY systems that will do what I want.

I am a regional manager for a Multistate Commercial/Industrial Refrigeration service company, and am extremely electrically/mechanically/electronically inclined, deal with system controllers, upfits, new installs, programming, remote access, etc.  So as far as the installation and maintenance of a DIY HA and Security system should not be a problem as long as I have documentation and a place to ask questions if I cannot figure something out.  

After a lot of searching, I have landed on the ELK M1GSYS4 Gold Security/HA kit.

Here is what I am looking to do with the system to begin with.

#1 is remote access, ideally with an android app (I saw on a forum somewhere there is one that will work with ELK)

4 Door Zones, 7 windows

2 Motions

Ability to control cameras maybe, and pick up a motion signal from them (I get packages delivered here for work and sometimes need to know when they have been delivered.  One thing about the Cable Company's system is that I had a Motion detector mounted outside that picked up when someone came in the drive and would send me a picture or short vid clip from the cameras)

Control of Zwave Devices (Locks, lighting, etc)

Ability to control garage door

Eventual integration with Home Entertainment

To begin with I;d like the security, lighting and remote control and the ability to be monitored by a remote company.  What should I get with my first package? Any suggestions/comments/questions? 

Thanks for your time. 

One other note... 

I currently have 4 CCTV wireless cameras on a cheapo DVR. (this thing never worked right over the internet.. I bought it because it had alarm capabilities and it never worked right, when I went to put the HD back in the original DVR, I lost the HD cable :/  )

One option I was looking at was a DVR/Analog to IP setup that had an alarm in that would pick up a signal from the ELK to start alert recording, and/or an alarm output switch to send a signal to the ELK to turn on lights to aid in recording.

Make sense?

Welcome to Cocoontech!

Perfectly doable and, I suspect, fairly common.  

I have a "digital in" on my front door camera that is triggered by an Elk output when the doorbell is rung (which sends an input to the Elk), and the camera then emails and texts me video clips and snapshots.  I wish the camera had a digital out for similar uses.  Just make sure the cameras you have or buy have the features you want,

Thanks.

Was hoping I could keep the cams I have but may have to upgrade those as well. Wish I had found this place before spending enough money elsewhere to have already installed a fully features ELK

TurboSam said:
Welcome to Cocoontech!

Perfectly doable and, I suspect, fairly common.  

I have a "digital in" on my front door camera that is triggered by an Elk output when the doorbell is rung (which sends an input to the Elk), and the camera then emails and texts me video clips and snapshots.  I wish the camera had a digital out for similar uses.  Just make sure the cameras you have or buy have the features you want,

TurboSam

How do you monitor and control the camera? Do you keep a server running 7x24? I experimented with BlueIris software on my pc a while back and like it but haven't really automated any cams yet and don't maintain a server.

Mike.

Then original dvr had remote access via an android app. It I lost the cable for the HD when I put it in the second DVR that was a POS. I was looking on lorex, they have a 4 cam ip setup that has an alarm input for each camera and 3 outputs. It might do my outdoor motion detection/alerting, and still pick up a signal from an elk to record on event, and the lorex can send a signal to an elk to send out an alert if need be.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Bizitz.

Nice choice of Elk for your combination security automation panel.

DIY monthly service can be purchased very reasonably these days.

High end and some low end IP HD cameras now have build in SD memory and analog alarm inputs to use and will send you snapshots or videos these days.

NVR/DVR's also have analog inputs for recording events these days.

You can configure analog outdoor sensors to your panel and outputs to the Lorex DVR which would work fine.

Guessing here too that the Lorex DVR with inputs / outputs would send you snapshots or videos, 

Mike, I do have a PC running 24/7.  It's a little MitxPC that is (I think) relatively low power, and it is mainly for CQC, which provides some of the glue between the Elk M1 and my camera and other automation tasks.  

I use both Blue Iris and Sighthound (formerly Vitamin D) software for camera motion sensing and recording.  Both software programs trigger recording and/or alerts (via email or text messages) under a variety of circumstances.  They each have their pros and cons (e.g. Blue Iris can send both text messages and emails me on the same camera motion trigger event but seems to use more computer processing and memory with multiple cameras, and Sighthound can only send one message, a text message or an email, on a trigger event.)  

I just started using the remote access feature that Sighthound offers, and I really like it (I think Blue Iris has similar functionality but I have not checked or tried it).  I think I tried virtually every camera software package out there before settling on my current system.

Edited PS: Maybe I should RTFM: I just discovered that Sighthound can evidently send alerts to multiple emails so I should be able to set it up to both email and text (using @vtext.com or @zvwpic.com).

Ahh, so I finally bought the house I am planning to do all this in.  (yes, resurrecting an old thread) and I am ready to do some work. Here is where I want to start.

Is the ELK still the viable way to go for the base system?

Home has 2 doors.  A motion in the house.

Slowly integrating lighting control.  Since the house is wired... I am contemplating replacing the switches with dimming zwave/zigbee, etc dimming switches (recommendations?).  
What about ceiling fan control?

Now, My garage is detached.

1 door,  A garage door and an indoor motion.

I am going to be putting a separate electrical service on the garage, which may leave a conduit underground between the house and garage if it is not broken underground to pull a camera wire, LAN and comm wire for security if needed. 

Also, I am going to put a driveway motion detector (beam type) hidden in PVC posts with LED solar lights on top that I can use to trigger the cameras if someone comes up the driveway.  With the layout of the property, its really the only way to access the property driving or walking.  Wiring for it will be buried and run to the house.  

Thoughts?  

Back