Have you noticed a lack of Christmas shoppers?

mikefamig

I just came in from Lowes at noon on Sunday and the traffic on the road was light and the checkout at Lowes was empty. I noticed the same thing yesterday and Christmas is only three weeks away.

Is it me or has anyone else noticed this?

Mike.

PS

I brought home a basement watchdog sump pump to replace a very old sump pump. It has a built-in relay that I can attach to an elk zone to alert us of a flood. Nice unit but that's another topic altogether.

Why bother driving to the store and shopping there when you can order everything online, save gas, have it delivered to your front door, while wearing your PJs? :)

This year my wife actually bought 90% of the gifts throughout the year, so we only have a couple more to get.

Yup same here.  Well almost.  Went looking for some Christmas lighting stuff this past week.  Last year ordered a bunch of stuff (well Christmas lighting) really cheap with free shipping.  This year the same stuff was priced four times more.

Its been probably now over the last 10 years that I have only shopped on the internet for Christmas gifts stuff; much faster and easier and way better prices.

Went to Walmart / Home Depot / Post Office this past Wednesday. 

Walmart shelves were fully stocked and plentiful.  I looked for a small Christmas tree and was pointed to and walked to fully stock shelves by a very polite customer service persons (actually though it was the district manager and store manager and one sales associate). Standing with wife and waiting to pay for our stuff person in front of us checking out appeared distressed mostly complaining about life in general and shopping experience out loud mostly venting towards the cashier (elderly women who ignored most of it and smiled).  I did engage in conversation with said person (low on the WAF) and she did apologize to the cashier and us right before leaving the store.  Most of the loud venting was voluminous and non nonsensical (which personally was entertaining to me).

Home Depot Christmas decorating area looked like a tornado had gone through it.  Shelves empty, much of the stock was scattered all over the floor as if some frenzied shopping had occurred.  I asked about some Christmas lighting stuff and was pointed to the electrical section of the store (no other efforts were done; such that I left not purchasing anything).  Check out lines were void of both cashiers and shoppers.

Well then too happened to be standing in line (~ 10 deep?) at the post office last week and one customer "caused a scene" becoming loud and obnoxious with the postal workers in an attempt to deliberate rile them with a non nonsensical demand being more vocal (no meat though). into something that fizzled out.  Well that too was entertaining to watch but I could see other customers faces and their worry while standing in line. 

pete_c said:
Yup same here.  Well almost.  Went looking for some Christmas lighting stuff this past week.  Last year ordered a bunch of stuff (well Christmas lighting) really cheap with free shipping.  This year the same stuff was priced four times more.

Its been probably now over the last 10 years that I have only shopped on the internet for Christmas gifts stuff; much faster and easier and way better prices.

Went to Walmart / Home Depot / Post Office this past Wednesday. 

Walmart shelves were fully stocked and plentiful.  I looked for a small Christmas tree and was pointed to and walked to fully stock shelves by a very polite customer service persons (actually though it was the district manager and store manager and one sales associate). Standing with wife and waiting to pay for our stuff person in front of us checking out appeared distressed mostly complaining about life in general and shopping experience out loud mostly venting towards the cashier (elderly women who ignored most of it and smiled).  I did engage in conversation with said person (low on the WAF) and she did apologize to the cashier and us right before leaving the store.  Most of the loud venting was voluminous and non nonsensical (which personally was entertaining to me).

Home Depot Christmas decorating area looked like a tornado had gone through it.  Shelves empty, much of the stock was scattered all over the floor as if some frenzied shopping had occurred.  I asked about some Christmas lighting stuff and was pointed to the electrical section of the store (no other efforts were done; such that I left not purchasing anything).  Check out lines were void of both cashiers and shoppers.

Well then too happened to be standing in line (~ 10 deep?) at the post office last week and one customer "caused a scene" becoming loud and obnoxious with the postal workers in an attempt to deliberate rile them with a non nonsensical demand being more vocal (no meat though). into something that fizzled out.  Well that too was entertaining to watch but I could see other customers faces and their worry while standing in line. 

I didn't see any of that, that's just my point. Lowes today was just like any other Sunday. Maybe I jut got lucky and hit a lull in the shopping frenzy.

Mike.

Yeah could be. 

Today we went out in the afternoon and traffic was light.  I did see some folks putting up their Christmas lights. 

Geez I wonder if that issue is relating to theft / compromise of DB's with many big box stores this past year. 

Maybe shoppers are afraid?

Its been happening a lot lately. Personally here thinking its all internal stuff.

Back