OmniPro II display/control options

abernut

I currently have an OmniPro II controlling my security and Irrigation.
When my budget will allow, I plan on installing 5 IP cameras, lighting control and eventually working on automation tasks.

The only input device I have hooked up is an HAI Security Keypad.

I would like to purchase a device to install in the master bedroom.  There is already a CAT5 and CAT6 cable behind the drywall.  I'm just not sure what device to go with.
It will need to go into some sort of sleep mode when there is no activity so the bedroom stays dark at night.

I've looked at the 5.7e, Omnitouch 7, and using Haiku.
I like the HaiKu interface but I can find very little information on configuring it or what hardware is needed.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, an OMNI and HAIku are good at processing things, but displaying is a bit of a weakness.  You certainly could go with a 5.7e,  or Omnitouch 7. Another option is to use voice as a "display." An Omni voice board can do that and it can alert you to conditions. 

I do something a bit unique.  I used to have a large Alpha color three line display in my kitchen, and that was connected to my OMNI via CQC. It displayed news, weather, and OMNI status, temps, stock prices, you name it, but CQC did most of the processing.

When I sold that house, I decided to go SIMPLE this time, so I got a BetaBright display, and I bought this board that controls it with simple ascii commands.  Normally this displays takes LOTS of formatting to get the basic data displayed in the correct color, font, size, etc. The Alpha manual that describes the protocol is 300 pages long.  But this board does the work. I'm going to place one BetaBrite in my kitchen and one in the garage.  It will display when certain errors occur, zones are open, Alarm ON, Alarm Off, etc.   Obviously the OMNI doesn't have all the info that CQC could gather from the Internet, but it should be what I need.  You just send a blank message and the display blanks out.  You could even put the BetaBrite behind a mirror so it would only show up when lit.  I like it because it can be informative, but you don't need to walk over to it to read it like a console or 5.7e.  Add a speaker near it and it can speak AND display!!!  Certainly better than hearing a console beep and having no idea what it was for. :wacko:

Here we have an Omnitouch 5.7 on the master bedroom wall.  It has a higher WAF than the Omnitouch 5.7e screen or the Wintel Omnitouch Pro software on the Wintel table tablets.  (bigger buttons).  CCTV video is slow and very low res on the Omnitouch 5.7's.

Back