elk swb14 and 66 block

jwest

I'm using an elk SWB14 can for an Aiphone (LEF-5's and LE-D's) installation. Rather than daisy-chain all the stations, I'm a believer in home-running everything. So that brings 3 wires per LE-D and 15 wires per LEF-5 back to the elk swb14. The wires for the LEF-5's are 22ga, and the wires for the LE-D's are 18ga. Long story short, I need to join approximately 6 sets of 15 wires in the can.

My first thought was just put a 66 block in the can. However, given an aiphone power supply in the bottom (on the left, and a UPB supply on the right) a full 66 block won't fit. So then I thought about using two or three smaller 6pair by six 66's, but there doesn't seem to be a clean way to mount them to the swb14.

So two questions:
1) I found these: http://www.suttlesolutions.com/catalog/suttle-brands/soho-access/soho-modules/3-pair-66-block-connecting-module.html and two or three of those would be a very nice clean solution. But, anyone used them and know if they would mount right in the swb14? And if they'd mount right to the holes in the swb14, how bad is it to use 18ga for some of the wires on a 66?

or

2) Any better suggesting for connecting all the wires?

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

J

With Aiphone, distance is an issue and homerunning the devices, it should be definitely considered. Especially if there's the possibility to ever migrate to a video Aiphone.

1. Standard SWB mount, They'll fit. Elk uses a universal grid pattern. A 66 block is good for 22 AWG as the heaviest.

2. I'd probably suggest a DIN rail mount and related wiring items.

Did you consider mounting the 66 horizontally?

With a drill bit and screws, you can mount anything anywhere.

And you can always use a 1/2" plywood backer, screw it in from the backside, and mount whatever to that.

As Del suggested, DIN rails are nice for a lot of wires.  The Phoenix UK 2.5 terminal blocks are perfect for this, you can get over 50 connections in 12" of space.  Used blocks are cheap on ebay.  You can use bridges to simplify some of the connections, i.e. feed power to the first block and the remaining bridged blocks are also fed.

Thanks for the really great ideas folks!

sda - I did NOT think of mounting the 66 block horizontally. Definite lack of coffee there. That would work... BUT... I had completely forgotten that 66 blocks are meant for solid wire, and the aiphone cable I'm using (822215) for the LEF-5's is stranded. Plus, the LE-D's are using 18ga/str/3c and 18ga is outside of spec for 66 blocks as well. The more I think about this the more I suspect a 66 block just isn't the right answer for this task.

DELInstallations - I'm aware of the distance issues with aiphone and "home running"; all accounted for already. As to the SAM-66 module link I provided above - it has a 6x6, but it appears the extra holes in the mounting plate (can be bought separately) will allow you to mount a 6x12 on one plate (sideways). I would have gone with that (two plates, both with 6x12), except for the whole "stranded wire to a 66 and 18ga to a 66" issue.

I am going to investigate the DIN rails and TB's. That is a new technology to me I had not seen before; after reading and looking at spec sheets, that solution really seems to be the best.

Sincerely appreciate the advice folks!

J

First time I've seen Aiphone cite stranded cable for their intercoms, usually everything is always solid, always specified as such when we're dealing with their engineers.

Their engineers produced a document listing which exact part numbers for aiphone brand wire to use with which aiphone models. MOST of them are stranded. It's their brand of cable, and the exact cable part numbers - that their chart says to use.

Note - they DO specify aiphone cable part numbers that are solid for some systems, but not all.

In this particular case, they specified for the LEF3/5/10 to use 822215 (or variants depending on 3/5/10) and all are stranded.

Best,

J

Back