WC8 firmware recovery procedure?

gmtech

Hi all,

i have WC8 board with 3.02.17g firmware that i tried to upgrade following the guide and downloading files from site.
I launched bootloader through browser (and board stopped running PLC code), and started blinking LEDs as requested.
At half of uploading new firmware stopped blinking,PC gave an error and board stopped answering to any signal.
Now at old IP the board doesn't reply (nor PING neither HTTP), and even to the default one.

Should i try to reset the board?
Is there any recovery procedure?

i have programmers and so on, please help me ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

GM

P.S. This is the third board i bought, the first and the second had old "not upgradable" firmware but shipping the old one to the U.S. was more expensive that buy another one.
Now my PLC code cannot run into the old one so i cannot temporarily solve in that way...  

You can try to update firmware again, since stopped in the middle, the new firmware is not running, so that only bootloader is there. You can start tftp session as soon as power on the board.  In that way, bootloader will talk to tftp client.  Bootloader has 3 second after power on talking to tftp client. After 3 seconds, it will forward control to main firmware.

Please make sure the network connection is reliable during firmware update, so that it will not interrupt firmware update. You can repeat that process many times, it should not be a problem even failed during update a few times.

Thanks... I tried some times but it seems it doesn't reply... I'll try many more times. In the first three seconds which is the hardcoded IP? Am i wrong to ask this? If i reset the board even if the firmware is corrupted will the IP address become the default one?

I reply to myself. The hardcoded IP is the default one (i.e. 192.168.1.15), and i successfully recovered the firmware! One little problem, now the MAC Address is FF:FF... All "F". And the NTP server reject connections with this Mac Address...

Any way to restore the original one or simply change to another one?

Thanks in advance!

GM

Hmm,

Using a cross over cable connected directly to a PC, you can still run the tftp and update firmware. The switch that you are using prevents you from using MAC address FFFFFFFF.

you will need to ship it to us for this repair.  When you first update, did you have tftp client and WC8 on different network?  What could that lead to this, we like to find out that, so that we can add code to prevent this error from happening.

I was connected through an access point to the network (Linksys E4200), that is connected to a Cisco 877, where the WC8 is connected.
Please read my first post, i cannot send the board to you, it will be very expensive (from Italy) and i cannot wait one month for the board.
I am really disappointed. I already discovered the crossover solution, it is what i did.
Can i hex edit the firmware so that i can inject the MAC address? Can you do a newer firmware where the MAC address can be edited as the IP is?

Firmware has no MAC address in it. Somehow when network hick up in the middle of upgrade, MAC address wiped out. That can only be re-programmed.  Sorry about that.  We can waive you update cost. But shipping to Italy is a problem, since we always lost packages shipped from US to Italy.

I followed exactly your steps, and it has been not my fault. So please we must find a solution to change the MAC address. If it can be deleted, it can be re-programmed. So FIND a way to solve this trouble.

I know other firms having the same issue with freight etc. wants a pic from the customer with the item shown destroyed. (Killed by hammer)
Then they will send a new item for a reduced cost...

rcbs1500destroyed.jpg

Well I hope now you back my plea for integrating the on-line update into the web application, as it is common with routers and the like..

We have developed new firmware that can recover from failed updating. If anyone has need, please contact us directly.
To avoid firmware update failure, please update using wired network, avoid updating over wifi.

Back