Nest and Weave

BaduFamily

Here at today's Google I/O keynote there were interesting hints about Brillo and Weave.

However the scheduled sessions have almost no information - and the Nest talk I just attened was 60% marketing pitch 'to hype you up' and then a small tour of JSON exchanges. feh.

Weave looks like a sensible idea right? a specification format for device compatibility. But we're not hearing much about it.

BTW this session was packed to overflowing. I take this as a sign of demand.

The open question is whether this will be better than what's come previously. Personally, I don't see it solving the problem of competing protocols. Too many vested interests. 

BaduFamily said:
Weave looks like a sensible idea right? a specification format for device compatibility. But we're not hearing much about it.

That's how Android@Home started off and we all know how that ended...

Interesting article on Brillo:

http://nextmarket.co/blogs/smarthomeweekly/29309313-google-iot-os-brillo-effort-reports-to-barratt-targeting-home-routers

Some bits that I found very interesting...
  • "key early targets for Google was home router manufacturers"
  • "Google wants Brillo to do for routers what Android did for phones."
  • "Much of the compute will run in the cloud. "
  • "Google is talking about utilizing low power radio technologies other than Thread (a Nest-initiated effort that's now an industry consortium) such as Zigbee. "
  • "Brillo is also very much not part of the hardware group being run by Tony Fadell"
I wonder if these router manufacturers are going to take security a bit more seriously than in the past.  

Even if they do, this device is going to be passing all sorts of info back to Google's servers.  Is your connected fridge going to berate you if you don't buy the sponsored brand of butter?

Fascinating that this is not managed by the Nest/Thread group.  Are the two technologies even going to play well together?

Also, I find it very strange that there is not even a developer preview of Brillo, yet--not until Q3!  (Weave not until Q4.)  If Google is basing Brillo on a stripped-down Android OS, why the delay?  After all, they were working on Android@Home for quite a while.  Is this completely unrelated?  How long is it going to take to actually get working hardware?  2017?

Craig

I suspect Google releases these teasers to see what sort of feedback and input they get.  Google plays around with a lot of things that never happen beyond the preliminary teaser.

Yeah.  But I think this will come to pass at some point.  Google went on that buying spree early on, see @Home and Sage, then Revolv, Nest, and Dropcam.  They definitely have something in the works.

jkmonroe said:
Yeah.  But I think this will come to pass at some point.  Google went on that buying spree early on, see @Home and Sage, then Revolv, Nest, and Dropcam.  They definitely have something in the works.

Android@Home appears to be dead. Revolv was not purchased for the product. It was purchased for the staff, and as a favor to mutual investors. The product is not only dead, it's no longer even supported. Nest was purchased for its data, and DropCam was purchased for its cloud recording service and consumer brand awareness.

What they have in the works is hopes of being a big data provider for automation and security. We'll see if it works out...

BaduFamily said:
Here at today's Google I/O keynote there were interesting hints about Brillo and Weave.

However the scheduled sessions have almost no information - and the Nest talk I just attened was 60% marketing pitch 'to hype you up' and then a small tour of JSON exchanges. feh.

BTW this session was packed to overflowing. I take this as a sign of demand.
Thanks, Badu, for bringing that to our attention.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BSRSCPxiPg

I like the Q4 delivery date.

I'm not convinced a doorlock needs to have an operating system (sounds like unnecessary overhead and power drain), but perhaps they assume one so they can have a uniform platform for persistent objects in their object oriented design.

Chatted with a Nest guy during the After Hours. It was a bit demented, what with the light sabres and all, but here's what I gathered.
the Weave schema format will be open.
new device manufactures and provide Google/Nest with their schema, defining interactions, and some of their devices. G/N will test the device and provide a seal of certification.
The grog specifically said they were not interested in dealing with all the legacy products. I asked if that was to avoid the Harmony problem and he laughed yes.

Back