Haiku Open source Haiku

longwa

Since you are now developing almost exclusively for Space, which you said is a ground up rewrite, I think you should open source Haiku so that the developers among us (myself included) that prefer using Haiku can continue to fix bugs and improve upon it.

Surely Haiku has already paid it's dues by now. You could release the code under something restrictive like GNU GPL which would require all improvements and derivatives to be free, thus preventing us from creating a Space commercial competitor.

What say you? Let's make this a proper community instead of just lumpinglade vs. the masses....

-Aaron

Sorry that is not possible. We have put a lot of effort into the development of Space and it is the future of Haiku. You are welcome to contribute feedback to improve Space, as always.

Your answer was a forgone conclusion in my mind...but you should have some serious thoughts about what the above post means.

Your "future" of Haiku is not appealing to the very people you want to buy it since you went form over function.  To the point where they are asking to write code themselves in order to continue the old product.

You need Space to get its interface back to its roots in Haiku, and you need it quickly.

Back