Illuminated button for REX/electrified lockset

lleo

So it has been a few weeks since we live with our shiny new electrified locksets on front and rear doors.
For most it has been a success.

My family managed to lock themselves out only once, for sure the one time I was out of town. But it was only a push of a button for me on my phone to unlock the door remotely.

You may recall that the locks are hooked to an ELK relay output simply switching power to lock. I added a dedicated function button (F4) on my M1NAV keypads by the door. While this works, it has drawbacks.
Previously, the keypads were set to go dark after a timeout period. So to check the door lock status, one had to tap the keypad to see the function button status. While the button inverts, ie changes color depending the output, it is not vey prominent. I now removed the screen timeout, so while approaching the door the status is already visible, but given the clutter on the M1NAV, it is still not prominent.
So I would like to add a dedicated button below the keypad. Definiately not a big red mushroom, but something that would be illuminated when locks are open.

I very much like the size and look of the Dynalock 6600 series narrow REX pushbutton, but from what I read in their docs, the light and switch function are not independent, so cannot simply hook it to the input and output existing on the keypad. 

Sorry for the long winded intro, but my question to PROs: do you have any other suggestions for a wall button with faceplate with independent light and switch functions?

http://electronic-security-systems.dynalock.com/viewitems/exit-controls/6600-series-halo-lighted-piezo-rex-push-button?

If you want to use the REX button you specified, all you would need to do is put in a secondary relay, like a RBSN and grab power from the same supply and put your "access" supply on one side NC/C and your "scheduled" power (same supply even) on the other side NO/C and then put the pushbutton on one leg of the relay power.

That way the button overrides the M1 actions completely and you won't be likely to crash 2 power feeds into the same lock location (if you use separate power supplies).

You could try a dortronics wr5276 or Securitron PB4 series or SDC 460 series. Not really that hard to have the LED change to whatever color and latch. The only variable is how many conductors you have in the field and how you're going to activate, either in series/parallel with your existing relay or via a system event (which might not be truly desirable).

Actually, with a standalone action, it may be desirable to provide a output from that button/switch/etc. to an M1 input to then drive an event or keypad notification that the button is active and preventing the lock from locking, etc.

If you're looking for status only, I'd just put in an LED and call it a day.

Back