HVAC Control - Remote Sensor

ccmichaelson

I'm building a new home (still under construction) and just finished pulling all low voltage wires everywhere.  Rather than mount the big, ugly thermostat unit to my hallway (both upstairs and downstairs) can I put the thermostat unit in my HVAC room and mount a much smaller sensor somewhere?  I have an Elk M1 and the ISY994i (both insteon and zwave version) home automation controller.

One of the RCS models may fit the bill.

I would wire conventionally, though, burying the thermostat wire behind the drywall, for if you change your mind in the future. Or, the thermostat wire could probably be used for the remote sensor.

I don't know if Aprilaire supports a remote sensor, but that's another company favored for integration.

Bearing in mind that modern thermostats offer useful notification features.  Like blinking a reminder for scheduled filter changes.  Or loss of signal from additional sensors.

Some are indeed uglier than others but I wouldn't let notions about that negatively impact getting a properly working HVAC setup.  One that'll stay working reliably without integration adventures.

Just sayin....

I should have mentioned, I'm using Honeywell thermostats and have their battery powered remote wireless sensors in use.  Both indoor and outdoor.  The indoor ones pick up the temperature at locations a bit better than where the thermostats are mounted.  A family room wall  on the first floor is a better location instead of a hallway just outside a room that gets a LOT of southern sun exposure.  Likewise, the master bedroom tended to be a bit too cold compared to the main hallway location.  Neither of these alternative sensor locations would have been ideal for the thermostat display.  Nor would we have been able to figure them out during construction.

But my point remains, don't let aesthetics get in the way of proper HVAC setup.  We didn't let that happen, but even with the HVAC engineer's experience the main thermostat locations didn't turn out to be ideal.

Curiosity questions here:

Friend recently built a new home and has a zoned Aprilaire system for the main / second floor of his home and used hot water heat for the floor of his basement.

I just glanced at what he had one day and noticed Aprilaire zones / thermostat placement and connectivity to the main plenums (well dampers) in the basement where the HVAC unit was installed.

Are these dampers on the supply side or return side (didn't pay attention)? (guessing they were on the return side?)

Personal assumption here is that the skill or art of a well designed HVAC residential system has always been in the use of and methodology of placements relating to "tin cutting" and just the right amount of said plenums to be effective  / efficient; well and more so than the "thermostat".

The dampers are placed on the supply side according to Aprilaire worksheet. I have the Aprilaire 8800 (although not zoned, it is capable of being zoned)

I like the look of the RadioRa or even that Leviton unit above - it'd be nice to cut the wall wart down to a single gang in-wall controller.  As mentioned above, I know the RCS thermostats also have that ability to do a remote sensor - I have some I have yet to install.  I also have a multi-zone setup with RCS' now discontinued communicating zone controller - we recently upgraded our whole HVAC to a dual-stage and I've been meaning to convert from our 2 zones to 4 for even better granular control.

Yeah today here utilize an HAI Omnistat installed where the original thermostat was which is the dining room.  It does share a wall with a hallway so it optionally can be mounted there if I wanted it to be there.  It does utilize remote wired to the panel sensors and remote sensors wired to the thermostat.  It's never really looked at as the controls are the Omnitouch screens where ever.  The thermostat has a retro look to it.  I do have remote capabilities for it but really never touch it as it works just fine on it's own these days.  There are no internet dependencies on its function. 

In FL it is mounted in the "great room" and it also is never touched and works just fine.

It is not a center of attention / nor will it ever be in my home and I prefer anyways that no one touch it and no one does.

I didn't like the willy nilly loosey goosy placement of the hot water heater, HVAC, et al so did relocate this stuff to one utility room / section which was sort of a PITA and involved moving gas lines, water lines and electric.  I did not move the HVAC/duct work stuff; just everything else.

Go simple with mission critical items. Yes, you can buy a system and devices that would equate to a second mortgage to control you HVAC, but the end result is going to be the same. Also, the more complex you make it, the harder it will be for others to service it or make the house less attractive in the event you choose to sell.

The only time you can really get away with a system like that would be in an ultra high end project where the installed systems are constantly under contract or PSA......I've done houses with zone dampers and controls for every room with essentially a commercial setup (pneumatics, VAV's and the like or electrics) with a BAS server.....it costs to play and keep it going. Does it look and function nicely, sure. Is it overkill, you bet. Would the average HO go out and buy a house/system like this? Never.

Back