Andersen "PowerAssist" / OMNIPRO II

SCAInc

Looking to have an OMNIPRO II control Andersen awning windows via their "new" PowerAssist electric operator.

Andersen's documentation on this is less than complete and, after a lot of aggravation, I was able to learm that their "engineer" tested this "automation" with a PC and a USB to RS-485 converter.  He "believes" that a serial to RS-485 converter will allow the OP II to talk to the windows.  I'm not sure I want to bet $10,000+ on his "belief."

I'm not looking for a DIY installation.  Has anyone actually gotten any OMNI controller to "talk to" Andersen windows with PowerAssist?

Thanks

P. S.  I know others have connected earlier Andersen electric windows -- I have too.  This question is specifically about their current electric window offering.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I work with this stuff and greater daily.

Andersen's documents pretty much spell out their entire protocol, byte length, checksum and the entire integration framework. It's pretty cut and dry. There's not much else they can or would need to provide to get this to work. They even tell you which byte is what portion of the system message, checksum and valid values:

• 9600 baud * 8 data bits * No parity bit * 1 stop bit.
• Controller is master * Consoles are slaves.
• The checksum is the simple summation of all bytes excluding the starting 0xFF and the checksum byte.
• All RS485 commands get an immediate RS485 response. OPEN or CLOSE will get either a BUSY or ACK. STATUSWITHPOLL will get either a BUSY or
STATUS response.
• Window # “5” means “all four windows on the console”

Andersen's engineer got the windows to work using a PC and RS 485 converter, so their work is done. I don't see ANY documentation stating their product functions with every or any 3rd party device, including a HAI panel....they'd never say it did, not to mention if they did, they would also need to ensure it works with EVERY firmware and software from XX to YY and HAI would need to maintain that functionality moving forward. Your problem is with HAI themselves being able to answer if their product can push out the data in the format spelled out in Andersen's documentation. You've been asking the wrong party if their device works with something they'd have no knowledge of.

The system will work with any product that can receive the data in the protocol and format given and it can be controlled via the same. So to answer your question, a straight integration to a panel that only has the ability to speak serial, no it will not work. If you bend the data and protocol and can break the message down to the bit level within the controller, it's doable. Could someone write the integration for the OPII or M1's serial ports using a 3rd party device, absolutely.

If you're just seeking to open/close the windows and see status, there's other ways to skin the cat and remove the OP or whatever host from the data aspect of control. While not as "sexy" as via software and a single data point connection, it's not difficult to accomplish either way.

Back