Omnipro II Ethernet dead?

cmarcus

So this morning, I tried to get into my OPII using PCAccess3 to turn off some automation I don't need anymore. Connection failed so I went to the panel and noticed I no longer have a link between the OPII and my switch. I haven't connected to it in awhile so I have no idea when it stopped working. I go through the following exercises to try to pin down the problem:

- Tried 3 different cables
- Tried known working ports on my switch
- Tried connecting to another switch I had laying around
- Tired forcing the speed and duplex on the switch port to 10Mbps/full
- Unplugged the power and battery from the OPII for about 10 minutes
- Reset the OPII RAM
- Reset the OPII EEPROM

Nothing in the configuration seems to have changed (e.g. IP addr, MAC addr, etc.). Even if they had I wouldn't expect to not get a link. I can't find any configuration settings that would enable/disable the Ethernet port.

Am I missing something or has the Ethernet port died on my OPII? If it's the latter, I'll be pissed. The warranty ran out about 10 months ago. I'm hoping it's just an oversight on my part and one of you Cocooners can point out some config setting I'm just not remembering.

thx
cmarcus

I have not seen a hardware failure of the OmniPro NIC yet after 10 years of use.  I have seen a failure of the firmware / communications to the network port concurrently with serial bus communications issues.

That said I am guessing right now you are not seeing any NIC LED light flickering eh?

I can't find any configuration settings that would enable/disable the Ethernet port.

There isn't any.  It is always on.

I am guessing then you have already reconfigured the IP via the keypad / or a serial PCA connection.  That said too I am guessing you have tried a cross over cable direct connect to the NIC port and pinged the IP and not seen any response eh?

Pete - No NIC LED. Not on the OPII or any device I try to connect to it.

I tried re-entering the IP address and port number via the keypad. It hadn't changed but I did it anyways. No luck.

Pete - No NIC LED. Not on the OPII or any device I try to connect to it.

That is a bad sign.

I tried re-entering the IP address and port number via the keypad. It hadn't changed but I did it anyways. No luck.

If the LED lights don't ficker then nothing else will work.  Whatever you connect to the port PC or Laptop or Switch will make the LEDs flicker.

Configuring the IP will not help if the NIC port is dead.

One thing I have noticed is that the NIC port plastic shell is a bit loosey goosey on my OmniPro 2 like it is being held down only by the soldering of the wires. 

I did have issues removing one of those network cables with a hood as the clip is on the top and the cable with a hood made it difficult. 

The NIC port being on the top and in the OPII can makes it a bit difficult to test or get a granular look.

Before sending in for repair maybe you can take the board out and look some at the network port to make sure that the solder traces to the NIC port are still intact.

OR

While it is all still connected; jiggle the cable while watching the LED lights to see if they flash.

I know that you mentioned it happened by itself with no notice.  Could even be a lightning strike that made this happen if you haven't touched it.

If you do not want to further diagnose the issue then maybe now is time to send it in for repairs.  You can utilize PCA in serial mode to download / save your current configuration. (do this first)

Security & Automation Support

Leviton Security & Automation products
Telephone:1-800-229-7256 or 504-736-9810
Mon-Fri 7:30 AM-6:00 PM Central Time

E-mail: Technical support emails sent to [email protected]

Well, Leviton has concluded that I need to send it in for repair :(

I think it could have been a lightening strike, but that still seems like a slim possibility since I have other equipment that likely would have failed first (or in addition to). Oh well, at least I now have motivation to remove my ugly masking tape labels and replace them with spiffy printed heat shrink labels.

Thanks for the input, Pete.

No problem there cmarcus.

Back up your configuration via a PCA serial link before you send it in to Leviton for repairs.

I had the same failure about two years. I had to send it back to HAI twice as it was an intermittent failure.
Worked for 6 weeks after they returned it as "could not duplicate".
On the second try it was "CND" again.  As an ET for years I knew what the issue was,  I asked them to change the Ethernet chip. Forgot the number but they did and it fixed it now for over a year.  I am sure they will get it working. Much easier if it stays broke!  My OPII was out of warranty so had to pay the repair charges.. Good luck.

Back