relative humidity, dewpoint and standard humidity

CAI_Support

We are in the process of testing the support for DS2438 smart battery sensor.  That sensor has temperature, voltage and current sensors, three functions in one.  From users told us, many use that chip to measure humidity sensor output voltage, like sensor output from HIH4000.

Our question is, what would be most useful for users? RH, DewPoint, or standard humidity.  We can add PLC function to do the calculations inside firmware, if so desired.  However, we want to know the most useful features, so that they can be added first.

Thanks for your inputs.

The accuracy of the HIH4000 is "barely adequate", and as you get to the extremes (particularly the 100% RH end of the scale) it becomes more of a guess than an actual reading!

That's why I switched to AM2320 style devices, which claim significantly better accuracy in their specs, and in real life seem to produce far more believable results.

These devices return temperature and relative humidity, and dewpoint is just a calculation away.

The sensor family name may have been posted.
Here are the specs for the the sensor used in the SWE-3 sensor unit containing the DS2438.
Code:
Product Specifications

Package Type Surface mount 
Operating Temperature -40 °C to 85 °C [-40 °F to 185 °F] 
Operating Humidity Range 0% RH to 100 %RH 
Interchangeability 0 %RH to 59% RH ±5 %RH, 60 %RH to 100 %RH ±8 %RH 
Hysteresis ±3 %RH 
Response Time 5 s 1/e in slow moving air 
Repeatability ±0.5 %RH 
Settling Time 70 ms max. 
Supply Voltage 5.0 Vdc typ. 
Supply Current  500 µA 
Long-term Stability (Drift) ±1.2 %RH for five years; ±0.25 %RH each year 
Stability at 50% RH ±0.5 %RH 
Output Signal Analog voltage 
Covered Device Yes 
Moisture/Dust Filter Yes 
Combined Humidity and Temperature Sensor No 
Calibration and Data Printout No 
Alarms No 
Series Name HIH-4030/4031 
Availability Global

AM2320 specs:

Humidity:
Resolution: 0.1%
Range: 0-99.9%
Accuracy @ 25 deg C  +/- 3%
Repeatability: +/- 0.1
Response times <5S
Drift <0.5 % / year

Claimed accuracy
<3% from 0%-99.9% RH.
<2% from 20%-70% RH

Temperature:
Resolution: 0.1 deg C (16 bits)
Accuracy +/- 0.5 deg C
Repeatability +/- 0.2 deg C
Drift: <0.1 deg C / year

Add the fact that there is zero quantization error due to ADC, no ADC drift, and the sensor doesn't take up an ADC channel, plus gives both temperature and humidity, and costs about 1/4 what a single HIH-4000 does, it's a clear winner in my books.

Wrong bus. The OP is about a 1-wire device.

The HIH-4031 is what the SWE-3 comes preinstalled with, as a triple sensor function, 1-wire device, with a prewired RJ-31 connector.
This unit contains the DS2438 the OP was announcing support for.

We did talk the vendor into making the SWE-3 available without the humidity sensor attached, though.

@CAI
I would vote for %Rh as the most common way of expressing humidity and most native to most sensors.

Ok, we will then add a PLC command to convert voltage to RH, since HIH sensors are relative humidity, it is a simple calculation.  That could be down in PLC, however, one PLC command can make it easier for higher precision calculation inside firmware. 

On WC8 board, there are AIP5-8 can be accessed by PLC read and write.  When DS2438 attached, first DS2438 will store its voltage reading in AIP5 and current reading in AIP6. When 2nd DS2438 sensor attached, it will store its voltage reading into AIP7 and its current reading in AIP8.  User than can use the PLC command to convert that AIP5 or AIP7 to RH reading.

If calculating dewpoint is desired, that will require to have a pressure sensor. There is a pressure sensor pretty cheap on eBay, that can be connected to I2C bus.

LarrylLix said:
Wrong bus. The OP is about a 1-wire device.

The OP also said "HIH4000" which would need to connect via an analog input on *something*, regardless which bus it's on, but I take your point.
(I still prefer the improved accuracy provided by the AM2320 devices)

CAI_Support said:
There is an I2C version of that sensor. Ross had published the code for how to support that on this forum.
Many thank,

what WC board and revision is fit for that and is the link to the contact the way you want me to request the code?
thanks

WC8 2.3.8 board would work, also WC32 board also work.   You can find Rossw from this forum then write to him. He is a very good heart person willing to help.

Back