Problem with time on Elk M1

newalarm

We have had a problem for a long time with the time on our M1g. It seems like every few months I need to update the time as it is never accurate. Is there any way of it auto updating or adjusting it? This seems to be a very weird problem to have in 2016.

Thanks.

The elk ASCII protocol has a command to set the time, so you could do it through external software.  I use CQC to update the clock on the Elk on a weekly basis.

I point my M1XEP to a NIST Time Server and don't have any issues since I upgraded firmware years ago. The issue I had prior to that was only with DST, where the system could be an hour off for a few days after the time change. 

NTP server is the way to go. The DST issue is a bummer, but I think it's kinda been worked out, I don't remember touching my system this past couple times.

Further, the M1 can email you whenever it has an issue contacting the NTP server. I get an email once every 6 months or so, but ignore it as it always syncs up the following night. If they ever come in constantly then you know you have an issue.

Here do NTP on a PFSense firewall (free BSD) with a GPS / PPS running on a serial cable (cat5e) going from the basement to the attic. 

It sees 11 satellites in the attic just fine. 

Sure-GPS-animation-2.gif

GPSNTP.jpg

You can DIY an RPI today making it a nice NTP server (all built in to the RPi).

I have gone to testing a microrouter lately with an added RTC with battery device.  There is an in and an out network port on the micro router, USB serial and wireless connectivity (which I do not use).  It is the size of my thumb and is powered by the OmniPro 2 panel. 

Yup; time is a hobby of sorts here.  I do have less time than more time these days and more time than less time; if that makes any sense?

I got bitten by that space and time thing (flight vectoring stuff relating to this or that) many years ago.

Old clocks / touch screens (~17) with clocks and the hourly chime that speaks time time in whatever language that suits your fancy.

Everything except for the old clocks (still broken) is in sync; and it bugs me when they are not in sync.

Back