Pre-wire second monitor away from computer desk

aamert

I am planning to wall mount a TV in my office/study and also want to use it as a second screen for my computer. What are my options for pre-wire other than HDMI? I would like to use the sound from the in-wall whole house system but I need the video to go from my computer to the wall mounted TV (about 10 feet apart). 

The standard solution is HDMI first, component cable as a second choice and then I would consider HDMI to ethernet converters. Why do you not want to use HDMI? The cost of converting to another protocol seems too high for such a short distance.

Consider also that you may also have to deal with syncing the audio with the video. Some AVR's have this capability built in to them.

Mike.

If you are concerned with the price of the hdmi cable then stay away from bestbuy and take a look at monoprice.com.

Price is the concern. But more importantly it is the concern for obsolescence. 

How about using HDMI extenders (that run off of CAT 5/6) ?

I wouldn't worry about obsolescence on an item that is so easy to replace. Besides, what does it matter if HDMI becomes obsolete and your TV plays on for years afterwards?

I love to buy obsolete parts as long as they do the job because they cost less.

Mike.

I brought up obsolescence because this wire will be inside the walls and not easy to replace. 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

For the short distance, HDMI is really a simple solution.  If it were me, I use HDMI and back it up with an unused CAT5 that could be used later.  That way you get a cheap easy solution today and future proof for tomorrow.  Monoprice also has some nice HDMI faceplate options to make the wiring real clean.

JonW said:
For the short distance, HDMI is really a simple solution.  If it were me, I use HDMI and back it up with an unused CAT5 that could be used later.  That way you get a cheap easy solution today and future proof for tomorrow.  Monoprice also has some nice HDMI faceplate options to make the wiring real clean.
Thanks, This seems to be the winner. I will probably go with HDMI+unused cat5 or Displayport+unused cat5.

JonW said:

Nice idea!

Displayport is essentially dead at the moment.

HDMI could experience timing issues. I'd suggest you go over ethernet, just keep it separate from the main network. You'd need to plan for it or have a plan B or C.....I'd forgo the dedicated specific cable and look at inwall cable solutions (remember, those factory made cables aren't generally listed to be installed inwall)

Back