OmniPro II and Multipurpose Sensor

GadgetGuy

Has anyone tried the latest version of the Smartthings Multipurpose Sensor with the ZigBee Interface Module (ZIM)? This device has open/closed, vibration, orientation, and temperature sensors. I was just wondering what (if any) sensors the Omni supports. I'm particularly interested in the vibration sensor for monitoring an oil furnace motor and circulator pump.

GadgetGuy said:
Has anyone tried the latest version of the Smartthings Multipurpose Sensor with the ZigBee Interface Module (ZIM)? This device has open/closed, vibration, orientation, and temperature sensors. I was just wondering what (if any) sensors the Omni supports. I'm particularly interested in the vibration sensor for monitoring an oil furnace motor and circulator pump.
The Omni supports On/Off/Dim light and device control, as well as Zigbee locks. No "sensors" are supported. (I'm not sure how you would even get to the sensor status, as a zone input? )

GadgetGuy said:
Thanks for the reply. Pretty disappointing that the Omni can't do what a $50 Smartthings hub can do.
They are different devices for different purposes. Lets see SmartThings send the fire department when your home catches on fire.

As an engineer and Leviton partner with an OmniPro at home and in the office, I'm well aware of the differences. I'm also aware that Leviton is falling behind in this space.

GadgetGuy said:
As an engineer and Leviton partner with an OmniPro at home and in the office, I'm well aware of the differences. I'm also aware that Leviton is falling behind in this space.

The Omni Pro is UL listed as a burglar and fire alarm panel.  Life safety issues are involved.  That UL listing makes it more difficult, time consuming and expensive to add new function to the panel.  Each time something is changed or added, they need to retest and re-certify the panel to ensure that it still meets the UL standards. 

With Smarthings, Samsung can toss out a new firmware update any time they want, with minimal testing.  If it doesn't work quite right, oh, well, maybe they'll fix it in the next release.

I'm not going to argue with you. I just wanted to connect a couple of vibration sensors to my aging OmniPro II. I don't think that's too much to ask in the age of IoT.

GadgetGuy said:
When did the OmniPro II come out? Maybe 20 years ago. Wanta bet if you can get a SmartThings in 20 years? How about 3 years?

GadgetGuy said:
I'm not going to argue with you. I just wanted to connect a couple of vibration sensors to my aging OmniPro II. I don't think that's too much to ask in the age of IoT.
Simple answer is Leviton has no reason to spend time and money enabling something that wouldn't benefit them a bit. They could enable it pretty easy with firmware in the ZIM, but why risk the liability if it causes problems?  The OP II is old but if the market was so attractive, why don't 100 other companies build a better one? I see a market opportunity for you. You should go for it.

Here utilized a piezo vibration sensor with an Elk circuit for my mailbox sensors connected to the OmniPro2.  Works fine.

That said I do like the multipurpose wireless sensors testing Z-Wave and Zigbee these days and have been tinkering with these devices.

Interesting announcement, although in reading the article I only see them planning to support the Leviton ZWave line on SmartThings. It sounds more like a marketing alignment to me (sadly.)

My guess is this alliance with ST will now give Bitwise developers the opportunity to develop more ST enabled products such as IOT products for the Bitwise line. Leviton will monetize this alliance by taking a percentage off the top of each sale thru the Leviton Bitwise authorized dealer store.  Leviton has nothing to lose and everything to gain since all the product development would be done by third parties.  If the product is a success, Leviton is making money but if the product is a flop, well, Leviton has not lost anything.  It's a win-win for Leviton.

Leviton Bitwise dealer store  https://store.bitwisecontrols.com/

Leviton Bitwise developer program https://dealer.leviton.com/BitWise-Developer-Program

While the OmniPro has been a reliable HA system for many years, it's obvious that it's best years are behind it. Leviton has moved on with other products that don't really replace it.

With regard to the multipurpose sensor, it's OEM'd from CentraLite (p/n 3321-S). There's no technical reason Leviton couldn't support the vibration, temperature, and contact closure features. However I doubt anyone there is actively working on any new integration projects for the OmniPro.

After spending a little time with the SmartThings hub and multipurpose sensor, I can find quite a few applications where I would like to use them. The hub also works great with Amazon Echo Dot, another thing not supported on the OmniPro. I don't like the cloud aspect of the system, but I can except it for these functions. (I would never trust it for security or door locks.) That said, it would be great to find a way to link the SmartThings hub and OmniPro to get the best of both worlds.

GadgetGuy said:
There's no technical reason Leviton couldn't support the vibration, temperature, and contact closure features.
Actually there is. The OP II was designed to have many UL approved security zone inputs and temperature inputs and that it it.  It was never designed to accept sensors outside of those.  Could they start from the ground up and redesign their firmware, sure, but you never gave the economic advantage for them to do so.

Back